How to retap screw hole for electrical switch plate

One of the switch plate screws keeps popping out from the threaded hole in the sheet metal ears of an Aube timer switch. The screw (and threads) are the standard #6-32 size.

Short of replacing the timer (about $40), is there any way to rethread/retap the hole in the switch so that the switch plate will hold securely?

I would imagine that electricians run into such a problem quite often and must have devised many clever solutions...

Reply to
blueman

If you find that you can't re-tap the hole, how about using speed clips for both holes, and replacing the screws with sheet metal screws? Rough up the screw heads with some emery cloth, prime them, paint them.....it's a 9 hour job to fix one small thing. Aren't they all this way?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Try a #6 wood screw or retap for 8-32

Reply to
John Grabowski

Oh, there are lots of ways... :)

Epoxy a #6 machine screw nut behind the hole Peen the hole w/ a flat punch to force material into the center Burr the threads on the screw a little Wrap some teflon or even aluminum foil around screw ...

Reply to
dpb

A tiny touch of JB Weld or other epoxy on the screw threads will do the trick. It will hod tight, but you'd still be able to break the bond if you needed to replace it. If you try to re-tap, you will have a hard time matching the screw head, way more work than is needed.

Reply to
TH

Here is what an electrician would try, but I don't know if you want to invest in one.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

"Honey, if I don't get this tool, this house could burn to the ground with you and the kids in it."

It's as easy as that. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

LOL -- I would save that excuse for the multi-hundred dollar tools.... or the equally good "...but look how much money I've been saving by doing this all myself"

At $12.99, it's just one of those impulse tools -- boy I really want one now...

Reply to
blueman

blueman posted for all of us...

Oh Christ this idiot is back! He's a mental case - be wary.

Reply to
Tekkie®