stripped screw hole - conduit box

Options please ... installing an extension box onto an exterior wall outlet (a weather proof cover will then be attached). The screw that secures the outlet, also secures the extension box in place. While securing the second screw I discover that the screw hole on the conduit box is stripped ... I can not get a tight seal (one one screw holding) and it will be impossible to get a weather tight seal on the cover (which is attached to the extension box). The screw used is a 6 - 32 machine thread 2.5 inches long. Is there a quick fix ...

Reply to
Wolf

I have used a #6 self tapping screw in similar situations.

Reply to
George

Drill the hole out a bit larger, tap it with 8-32 threads, and use a screw

8-32x2.5.
Reply to
Doug Miller

What is the box made of?

Stuff something in the hole, a sliver of broken toothpick, a layer or two of tin foil, or heavyduty foil. Let part of it remain outside the hole when starting so you can tell that the whole thing didn't get pushed in before the screw. Although tinfoil might rip, the wood probably won't. I've never tried cloth, a cotton sport shirt that has been turned into a rag, but it might work.

Reply to
mm

Words to live by.

RicodJour

Thanks for all the responses ... unable to find a #6 2.5" self tapping screw BUT was able to get a #8 ... since the # 6 was a loose fit I thought I give it a try ... SUCCESS. I was going to tap it but but the taps I had were too short and I didn't want to disassemble the conduit(PVC - Rigid). Got everything buttoned up just before the rain started :-) Thanks again!

Reply to
Wolf

Is Dallas the only place that sells 6/32 captive tinnerman nuts? U shaped spring clip, thread one side, clearance hole other side. Clip one over the box lip, threaded part to back of the box.

Didn't read all the posts, but I'm sure drywall screws were suggested. See a lot of that, nothing like a #6x32 slot head in one and a #8 or #10 self-tap phillips(dw) in the other.

-larry

"anything worth doing at all is worth doing well" -Ms. Mac GHS '64 ;-)

Reply to
larry