Breaker box ain't got no holes!?

I am installing a 120v water heater in a 208/120 breaker box. Oddly, there are no knockouts. Is that common in 208/120v?

I see three options; your advice on their legality would be appreciated.

1) I can cut a hole with a hole saw. Not a pleasant chore, but possible. 2) There is an outlet in a box just below the breaker box, connected to it by a 1/2" conduit. I could connect my MC cable to the outlet box and run the wires into the breaker box by the 1/2" conduit. I presume 1/2" conduit can take two sets of #12 cable. 3) I can run my circuit to the outlet box and attach it to the wires that feed the outlet. The outlet is only used for a radio and the water heater is only 13a, so there should be plenty of capacity.
Reply to
jack

More than one wire can go through a single knockout.

If your wire will not fit through an existing one, relocate one of the 110v to create space.

This option is 100% legal. The others I have doubts about.

Reply to
Colbyt

All the existing holes have conduit connected to them, so they aren't available. It might be legal, but it isn't possible.

Reply to
jack

It is common for industrial equipment to come without preformed KOs. Industrial electricians have KO punches and poke a hole where they need one. You can get the wrench powered ones at a good home store. Drill a 3/8" hole, assemble the cutter and die on each side and tighten it up and you cut a clean hole.

Reply to
gfretwell

A 7/8" hole saw cuts you a 1/2" knockout. Drill a few for the future

Reply to
RBM

What the other guy said about a hole punch (Greenlee?). Makes a much nicer hole, and little or no debris inside, and no warping of the panel.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Big difference in price between a 7/8" hole saw and a greenlee punch, besides, if he has a panel with no KO's in it, it's a commercial panel, it ain't gonna warp

Reply to
RBM

I missed that part of the post. Sorry.

The other posters have good suggestions.

I would have to wonder why everything is in conduit. Is the a commercial building? Or a Condo type project?

Conduit may be a requirement for certain structures and locations.

Are they all in use? Sometimes when I have to cut open a wall to pull a wire I add some empty conduit sections to the panel box for future use. I cap both ends to prevent critter entry.

Try a rental center for the proper tool. It sounds expensive.

Reply to
Colbyt

How did you get the water heater IN the breaker box?

S. Barker

Why do you say that? A metal-cutting hole-saw should do the job in less than two minutes.

Reply to
HeyBub

The much maligned Harbor Freight has a manual KO punch set rather cheap that would probably do the job. They also have a hydraulic driver available.

There is also the option of the Greenlee KO sized step bit, which is what I use for the small number of times I need to make holes in pull boxes and whatnot.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete C. wrote: ...

If the box steel isn't harder than the punch... :)

HF -- ya pays ya money and takes ya chances...

--

Reply to
dpb

A Greenlee punch is $30 or so if you shop around and it will last a lifetime. Over the years I have managed to collect several sizes and they all still work fine.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Agreed...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yep, which is why having a HF retail store nearby where you can see the items in person is a huge benefit. There are a number of gems in their lineup, as well as many more perfectly serviceable for home shop use items.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, but the HF set is half that. They may not last a lifetime in pro use however.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete C. wrote: ...

The question w/ HF is will they last a single use??? :)

IME it's been a crapshoot...some stuff is amazingly good for the price; some is pure junk. The problem is there's almost no way to tell a priori...

Since there's no local outlet, I've pretty much given them. Doesn't mean anybody else needs to take the advice, I was simply making a (mostly) lighthearted aside...

--

Reply to
dpb

Pete C. wrote: ...

Wish I'd seen this comment before the other...is there an echo here? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

For the $15 it is sure to make one or two holes.

I retract the rental suggestion. This is the way to go.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I still don't know why. To use a 1/2" KO greenlee punch, you have to drill a hole practically that large to fit the bolt through. You may as well use a

7/8" hole saw. Drill once and you're done... and it's cheaper
Reply to
RBM