9v. battery disposal

Page 1 of 3
Since updating the number of smoke alarms in my residences, I now have many weak batteries. I know they can be a dangerous fire hazard, having seen demonstrations, and having had one in my pocket that was trying to copulate with my car keys.
My standard practice is to put some duct tape on them and toss them. My main concern is to get them off my property without event, yet I can't disregard those downstream who might suffer if the tape comes off or is worn through.
Is there some way to just totally discharge these, and toss them, but still taping them? I have had some that were dead as a hammer, and couldn't get a voltage reading on them with a good digital electricital measuring device. That's the way I want them when I toss them so I'm not worrying about them while in my big trash cans, a very good fuel source.
TIA, idiots, flamers and phobics, please don't reply.
Steve
--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,

I assume you live in the US. Just drop them off at Radio Shack. If you are worried about them discharging put them back in their original container or wrap them up like you do. I put all my old batteries in one box and take it to Radio Shack ocassionally. They keep them in 5 gal drums until a company comes by to pick them up for recycling.
jthread wrote:

Wouldn't it be cheaper (considering the cost of gas and all) just to mail them away?
I can think of any number of government agencies that would be thrilled to receive them.

Thank you. How simple. I would have never thought of that.
Steve

A guy at RS told me they only take rechargeable batteries. What I think that means in practice is that they only want rechargeable batteries, but often don't look when you drop them off.

Yeah. You're probably right. I know the non-rechargeable are not recyclable. They probably dump them in landfills that can handle the heavy metal.
toss 'em in the trash and get a life.

http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/batteries.php
We all need to do our part.
jthread wrote:

On the site that you referenced, it states that for Alkaline batteries you should simply place in the trash (normal municipal waste). Exceptions: California which requires non-households to dispose of these batteries in accordance with the California Universal Waste Rules. Also, Minnesota (Hennipen County only) requires these batteries be disposed as a hazardous waste. So unless the OP was from one of those two places, "toss 'em in the trash" is the correct thing to do!

I noticed that about the Non rechargeable- alkaline but Radio Shack accepts all batteries. I'd rather drop them off there and let them deal with them. At least if there is away to recycle them they can. Also it said not to put in incinerators. I'd rather not assume where and how the OP disposes of his batteries.
The part you are reffering to reads
"Non-rechargeable (typically "alkaline batteries") still don't have a recycler and general just must be disposed in the trash. If you have large quantities or are a business, talk with your permitted sanitary landfill operator (otherwise known as "sanitation services", the "dump" or "landfill"). Waste batteries should not be burned because of the metals, and they could explode. When burned, some heavy metals such as mercury may vaporize and escape into the air, and cadmium and lead may end up in the ash. "
We all need to do our part. :-)

I really don't care about the disposal part. What I want is to be safe in the interim when they still have enough juice to start a fire if shorted out. That rarely occurs with other batteries that have terminals both ends. I did have some AA batteries in my pocket once for my camera, and they contacted with my keys enough to burn my skin through my pants.
Steve
So, put a resistive load across the terminals, until the battery is good and dead. And then you need not worry any more.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

For a 9 volt the load doesn't even need to be resistive. Just short the pins together with a piece of wire. If the battery is not already totally dead it will be in a few seconds.
Rich256 wrote:

And thank you, sir. I have copied your post to my home tips file. Your answer gave me lots of ways to go, and I'll be going to Radio Shack soon to buy some components. I do not know why a lot of the other posters had such a bad time with this.
Steve
Mostly cause we're paranoid idiot flamers? So, why'd you ask? You trying to get me in trouble, you dumb jerk? You're pathetic. Truck you, and the horse you rode in on, you lowlife squirm. People like you should be shot.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How does this fit in with the LDS teachings?
May God bless you.

Historically, SLC has always had a large section near downtown for adult shopping. Of all sorts. Lately, mostly streetwalkers, but before that, many houses. Guess they're like the mob. They don't care what you do, just pay the man every week and there won't be any trouble.
Utah has a lot of pretty women.
Steve

That's bullshit.
It'll only get a little warm.
Only rechargeables have a low enough internal resistance to get very hot.
Besides, by the time most people toss a battery in the trash, it is already discharged.
com> wrote:

Another way to totally kill the battery is to plug two 9 volts together. If not already deeply discharged they might get pretty warm. That is probably the biggest danger of throwing a bag of batteries into a dumpster. When I see displays in stores where a container has hundreds of batteries thrown in I often wonder about the chance of a bunch of them making a short circuit.
There is the old wilderness survival way of making a fire. That of shorting out a 9 volt with steel wool on laying on or sort of wrapped with paper.