Two Saturns, one key

When I bought my 97 SL1, it came with two keys. The ignition switch had been replaced and the idiots who did it did not bother to have the switch coded to the car.

Today, while doing some other work to the car which involved having one of the door skins off, I decided to pull both door lock cylinders, the trunk cylinder and the ignition and get them coded to the key to my 95 SW1. Now one key works both cars. Locksmith charged $40 to recode the cylinders.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

So now we know why Locksmithing is a dying trade and most locksmiths are starving.

The last locksmith I met hadn't bathed in weeks, smelled to high heaven and basically lived inside his smelly, messed up van.

He had half his teeth missing (or installed, depending upon how you look at it) and couldn't string together a simple sentence composed of words a

3rd grader would understand. In the proper order of course.

We used to have a couple of smiths' do work for the dealer I work at but we quickly discovered that any idiot with the proper machine can generate a key for a car so we cut them loose.

We ended up saving money big time because the number of cars the lockmsiths screwed up (mostly popped airbags) was substantial.

My impression of Locksmiths is that they rank below insurance salesmen but ever so slightly above a dustman.

Reply to
Tommy Tuner

I have two Dodge trucks, a 90 and a 92. I had a set of keys made with the 90 key on one side and the 92 on the other. Now, depending on which way I insert the key, it will open either truck.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Troll O Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ___________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | --------------------------------------------------- ^ | .

My impression of Locksmiths is that they rank below insurance salesmen but ever so slightly above a dustman.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Tommy Tuner" trolled in message

---snip the clueless troll---

Reply to
'Key

That costs extra money you know. Maybe they didn't have as much money as you seem to have.

There are also disadvantages to having the same key for the door and the ignition. A clever guy might have thought of that.

Reply to
mm

honestly, who gives a f*ck?

Reply to
sbb78247

Little Tommy,

You shouldn't speak about your father that way...

He keyed the car to match out of love, and we know you filled the airbags with beans be comfortable playing video games.

When the trailers a rocking, your picking your nose real hard - troll!

Troll O Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ___________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | --------------------------------------------------- ^ |

. BTW: Get a life, join the Army, be all you can be.

Reply to
BogusID

As much money as I seem to have? Ha! I paid $700 for this car after the person who owned it was offered $250 by her mechanic. It started running rough literally at the last minute before the owner was moving a few states away. I got the car running and offered the $700 and she was thrilled. With a child in college and another in private school, I have very little money to spend on buying cars.

I did question the previous owner about the keys and she was never offered the option of having the lock coded correctly, she was surprised that it could even be done.

There are, but for my needs one key is much more convienient.

Reply to
David Teichholtz

"to *have* the switch coded..." means you are talking about a previous owner, right? If you were talking about locksmiths, you would have said "did not bother to code the switch to the car".

Well you seemed to have a lot of money, because most people without a lot of money would understand why another such person wouldn't pay to have locks keyed alike. Instead you called them "idiots".

Your needs are irrelevant, since it's the other people you called idiots.

Reply to
mm