night latch for outward-opening door?

I need a cheapish night latch for an outward opening door.

Will I need a special (longer) strike plate?

I'm a bit confused because a few latches

(such as this one:

)

are described as suitable for outward-opening doors, but nothing is said about the different strike plate that is (sometimes?) required. Will the same strike plate be OK regardless of whether the door opens inwards or outwards?

All the ones I could find at B&Q were stated to be suitable for inward- opening doors only. But maybe I could just turn the latch around anyway?

Matthew Sholy

Reply to
Matthew Sholy

Unless you can lock the bolt, night latches on outward opening doors can easily be slipped with a knife blade. That was usually the way I opened a door with a code operated release on the striker plate, where, 'for security', the code was changed weekly, but you had to go up two flights of stairs to get issued with the new code.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

harry wrote in news:320c9d8f-53b3-4e7e-b5b1- snipped-for-privacy@n35g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

()

Ah - thanks. Do you know whether I'll also need a longer strike plate?

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Sholy