Changing PVC front door from outwards-opening to inwards-opening?

Hi friends,

My front door needs replacing. I have another UPVC door in my garage that i s fairly new and the correct size, but it opens outwards instead of inwards ! Is it generally possible to take the hinges off and screw them onto the i nside of the door, thereby making it inwards-opening?

Here is a photo of one of the hinges:

Simply reversing the frame is not an option, as I see it, because then then the glazing beads would be on the outside.

Many thanks,

JD

Reply to
JD

is fairly new and the correct size, but it opens outwards instead of inwar ds! Is it generally possible to take the hinges off and screw them onto the inside of the door, thereby making it inwards-opening?

en the glazing beads would be on the outside.

PS... Puzzling over the door some more, I have to conclude that making the door inward-opening while keeping the glazing beads internal, is not an opt ion.

So here is another question: Is an outward-opening front door a major no-no ? It doesn't open onto a public pavement or anything. Unfortunately, there is no porch to mitigate the situation. The main disadvantage I can can thin k of, is that the wind could catch it on a windy day. And it might look a b it odd to future house-buyers. Have I overlooked anything? TIA, JD

Reply to
JD

Mine opens outwards as do many in my road. The only concern is winds blowing it if its not closed properly, but an automatic door closer will fix that I'd imagine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for that, Brian. If wind is really the only disadvantage, that's reassuring. I don't recall ever seeing one that opens outwards - but I'll definitely take your word for it.

JD

Reply to
JD

Our previous place had an outward opening door, it was quite sheltered though so the wind wasn't really an issue. Practically it is less convenient because you tend to be carrying stuff when wanting to open it and it's far easier to push than pull with your hands full :)

Also, it was a timber door, so exposed hinges and weak rimlatch, had to fit hinge bolts and mortice lock. Again, that wouldn't be a problem with a uPVC door.

I have heard that it is supposed to be easier to stop an "invader" if the door opens inward, if that might be a concern ;)

Reply to
Lee

Your hinge in the photo looks like the door hangs on the fixed rod and can be lifted off. The part fixed to the door looks like it has a cap at the top, which might fit on the bottom instead? If so, when the part is screwed to the inside of the door instead of the outside, the part will now fit on the rod upside down from how it is now. The fixed rod holder would be screwed to the inside of the frame instead of the front as in the photo, to allow the door to swing inwards.

Reply to
Dave W

Dave, Thank you. Unfortunately, if I have the door opening inwards (however I achieve that), the glazing beads would have to be in the outside. I can't see any way around that. I guess that would be a security risk. JD

Reply to
JD

I've seen outward opening doors in a number of old cottages, and on shops, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I think they'd construct the frame differently (bars and seals facing the other way) for outward-vs-inward opening, so you couldn't just hang the other door in the same frame.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Visitors tend to dislike outward opening doors. Especially if they are standing close enough to the door to get hit when the occupant opens the door. Or even just to feel as if they might get hit.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks, and a good point! On shops is the one place I can remember finding them. JD

Reply to
JD

Less so than the security downside of having the door open outwards. Plenty of dg has external beading by design.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't understand why the beads have to be on the outside. Can't you reverse the door and apply the hinges as required?

I take it your photo shows the door can be opened towards the camera with glazing beads on the hidden side? If so, I was suggesting fixing the hinge to the hidden side. If not

Reply to
Dave W

Dave, If I reverse the door (by whatever means), the beads would then be on the outside. (My hinge photo shows the non-beaded side of the door.) I think that having the beads externally would be a security risk. Do you agree?

It doesn't seem possible to reverse the door but not the frame, because of the rubber seals that seal the door when closed. Obviously they have to close against the frame.

Incidentally, if I did reverse the door so it opens inwardly, the hinges would be on the left when viewed from inside. I really need a door with the hinges on the right when viewed from inside. But thanks... I hope I'm not overlooking something... JD

Reply to
JD

Your photo view is what I thought. If the beads were on the outside, I would worry more about weather damage rather than a burglar who would would just smash the window.

Now that you have mentioned the rubber seal, obviously the door can't open inwards with beads inside, unless the seals can be moved to the other side of the door and contact the other side of the frame. I doubt they can, given that the bevelled edge of the door in your photo expects to be away from the frame.

Reply to
Dave W

Your photo view is what I thought. If the beads were on the outside, I would worry more about weather damage rather than a burglar who would would just smash the window.

Now that you have mentioned the rubber seal, obviously the door can't open inwards with beads inside, unless the seals can be moved to the other side of the door and contact the other side of the frame. I doubt they can, given that the bevelled edge of the door in your photo expects to be away from the frame.

Reply to
Dave W

yes it can be done just reverse the frame secure any beads with glue or security clips drill new drain holes at the bottom.

Reply to
handy man

We have an outward opening door and that is the case, the whole frame would have to be reversed.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Do not reply to people in a time warp:-)

Reply to
ARW