double-ended woodscrew to join curtain poles?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what those double ended screws are called, typically used to join two curtain poles together?

Screwfix sell these which have a wood thread one end and a screw thread the other; but what I need has a wood thread at both ends.

bought a curtain pole some months ago; never got round to fitting it until now, and I find it does not have any fittings in the pack. Due to the time that has passed and I don't know where my receipt is, I doubt the shop will be any help.

If I knew the proper name for what I want, I might have more luck finding it or asking for it.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Sometimes at least "dowel screw". Given S/Fix and Toolstation don't have them that B&Q allegedly do?

Reply to
Robin

B & Q do two sizes.........

Dowel Screw AVF-852053 Pack Of 4 (W)5mm x (L)50mm EAN: 5020789852053 £2.88

===========

Dowel Screw AVF-852060 Pack Of 4 (W)8mm x (L)75mm EAN: 5020789852060 £2.98

Reply to
Him & Her

PS

Apologies for the illiterate post (due to my inability these days to type while answering phone). In recompense a link to possible B&Q product:

do a smaller size too.

Reply to
Robin

Thanks for all your help. As it happens, the retailer of the curtain pole kindly gave me a replacement. However I had to go to B&Q for something else and whilst there I found these packets; I was very impressed that they had them, though they are a bit pricey.

Once I knew that they were called "dowel screws" I was able to search for them. I found some on ebay but most of those were for smaller sizes. One inch long and one and half inches long were common. The one and a half inch may have been enough for my needs but the one inch would have been too small. I was surprised there was a market for the

1" size and surprised that there were not more of the 2" ones for sale, I would have thought they would be more useful.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

[...]

I have an angle grinder but not a grinding wheel for my drill ;)

My first thought was that at the head end, the thread would be the wrong way round. I mistakenly thought the thread on each half went the complimentary ways, but looking at the one I have here, the thread goes in one direction along he whole length, so what you suggest would work.

I was half expecting someone to say that they would make their own using a metalworking lathe. Sadly I don't have a metalworking lathe (nor a woodworking one for that matter). We weren't taught metalwork at school, which is a great pity.

Reply to
Fred

Nor was I. Did get a minimal amount of woodworking. Maybe that was for those who couldn't cope with the minimal amount of ancient Greek, but neither class had any appreciable effect on me :-)

Reply to
Windmill

Terri :-)

Reply to
britlady52

Double ended screws is what they are called, I got dozens of them just by a search for that.

You probably will find the screw idea won't help. Better to drill the ends and glue in some hefty dowelling rod. Even then it may need extra support if the curtain is heavy.

Reply to
harryagain

On 11 May 2014, "harryagain" grunted:

They are what are supplied with those curtain rail kits, for spans of more than about a metre - the instructions always state that the joint *must* coincide with a support, which is provided. I've fittee many of them, and they work fine.

Reply to
Lobster