bay window curtain rails

Hi

Has anyone had any luck in finding curtain rails for an angled bay window (ie not right angled corners).

My wife doesnt want to use a bendy plastic rail so we have beeen looking for something slightly nicer looking.

We did find a rail in John Lewis which had rahter neat passover brackets allowing the rails to be fixed at either end, each bend and the middle and still allow curtains to passover. The only problem with this rail was that it was £280....

I have found several others on the internet but none seem to have the passover brackets. I am going to ring a few retailers and ask for advice but thought Id see if anyone here had had the same problem.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

What's wrong with plastic? I mean, who sees it?

We use it in our bay windows and it's been going strong for years. The cord pulls to draw the (heavy) curtains are ideal.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's wrong with plastic is that his wife doesn't want it.

His wife. SHe doesn't want it.

Good for you. She doesn't want it.

Reply to
Daniel

In article , Tim Smith writes

If you don't want to pay out, you may be stuck with bendy plastic. I have two large bay windows, and found that buying a good make (Harrison Drape) is worth the extra. The worst thing about buying coiled-up rail is that it's coiled up the "wrong" way around, which means bending it back on itself to get it to conform to the shape of a bay window. It then kinks or goes up looking messy.

I worked round this by putting the coiled-up rail in a very hot bath to soften the plastic while mounting the brackets, then got the rail up and in position quickly while still soft and pliable to avoid bending it back on itself and kinking it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thanks,

If we cant find anything else then Im sure we will end up with the expensive solution. Its just irritating that we can find large numbers of nice poles with clever hinges to allow any angle, but none have the passover mouting brackets.

TIm

Reply to
Tim Smith

She needs to have something more to do in her life than watching curtain rails, I suggest.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I actually think thats a completely unhelpful and somewhat offensive statement.

My wife has plenty of other things in her life but is perfectly entitled to her opinion of what fixtures and fittings she wants in our house. Who are you to suggest what is or is not an acceptable use of her time ?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

I'm sorry I offended you, it wasn't intended.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

apology accepted.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Have you tried Next ? I have just had a look at their catalog, this may be what you are looking for ? Check their website - the bendy metal curtain poles should be in there...

Reply to
spiritualized

Tim

You may want to have another look in John Lewis as they also do a metal rail which can be bent into the required shape and although it is white it looks a lot better and sturdier than the white plastic.

Regards Jaz

spiritualized wrote:

Reply to
jjavanda

There's that oval metal tube stuff with a slot on one side for the runners which is normally corded and is very free running - ideal for motorised curtains - and includes an overlap. But I can't for the life of me remember the name. They offered a custom bending service for bay windows.

However, if you wanted the curtains to be pulled back beyond the bay by cord you were into nasty plastic with external cords.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

[Later] Kirsh heavy duty?
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used timber curtain pole and brackets. Looks great!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Use four curtains, one at each side, two on the big window in the middle.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'd say you might have problems making one to take heavy curtains round a bay window?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A question, or a statement?

I used four of the "eye"-type turned supports, two near the outer ends, two on the outer ends of the inner piece:

_s___________________s_ / \ / \ s s / \

The joints were made by cutting the poles at an angle, screwing a bent screw into one piece (N.B. pilot hole!), running an oversized bit into the other piece, filling the oversized hole with car body filler, and holding the pieces together until set. The supports were of the type that have a circular metal plate which screws to the wall, which has a turned piece to screw to that, and then a separate piece which slides onto the pole (with the rings!), and is then screwed to the gubbins on the wall.

I assume the OP was referring to some 'kin expensive solution like the one here:

wonder whether a plumber could make a connecting piece out of

28mm copper tube with a bend in it...

Anyway, no problems with my set-up, and it looks good. The four curtains are actually a nice feature!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

But then unless something is escaping me the brackets will restrict how far back the curtains can be drawn?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but they are very narrow curtains - the ones in the middle draw back over the mullions, and don't restrict view or light. The ones to the sides have enough room to draw back anyway.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That you should consult this link?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)