Suggestions for a 8 foot curtain rod without middle supports

I have an 8 foot patio slider in my recently renovated kitchen. Before the remodel it had vertical blinds which I did not like, so my wife were thinking of getting fancy curtains that we could simply pull to one side and tie it when we wanted light. The problem is that most curtain rods I see have supports in the middle, which means you cannot pull all the curtains ( 4 in my case) to one side. And I really did not want to drape 2 sets of curtains on either side because on one side my base cabinets are right next to the door, so I was trying to pull them to the other side which is free and clear. are there any curtain rods strong enough to span 8 feet with no supports? I was thinking of getting round oak, or even a length of pipe.
alt.home.repair:

An 8-foot opening will require a 9- or 10-food rod. You'll have trouble with the rod sagging under its own weight unless you support it in the middle. Using a heavy pipe will lessen the problem, but not eliminate it. You'll also have an ugly pipe. Heavy curtains will make the problem worse.
The only solution I know is to get a real curtain rod with hidden supports and sliding loops for hooks on the curtain.
You might make do for awhile with a 2" rod and very light curtains. Screw the rod to the supports so it doesn't rotate. Every few months, turn the rod over so the sag points up, and screw it down again.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Mikepier wrote:

You can buy traverse rods which draw open to one side or the other, but still have a center support. Kirsch and Graber are the most familiar hardware cos. Do a Google search on ' "traverse rods" open left right ' and you will get plenty of hits. Here is one: http://www.continentalwindowfashions.com/category_k003_Kirsch-Superfine-Traverse-Rods_3.html
You might also be able to rig the hardware from the vertical blinds.
replying to Norminn, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote: Thanks for the reply, but where do you get curtains for these rods? They have to be pinch pleats without back tabs. I've searched all over. They aren't making them anymore.
On Thu 21 Sep 2017 05:14:02p, Lynn Chabot-Long told us...

One-way draw traverse rods are made to fit that length. They do require at lest 2 or three center supports, but a traverse rod will allow you to draw the drapery by simply pulling a cord. An alternative to a cord system, is using a wand at the loose end.

On Thu 21 Sep 2017 07:23:32p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

It occurred to me that if your draperies are already made with pinch pleats but no fasterers on the back, pin-on hooks have been used for decades for just such a purpose. They come in different lengths and configurations. The following is but one example:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/wamsutta-long-pin-on- hooks-for-traverse-rods-set-of-14/1016470465?skuId470465 &mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_windowtreatments_online&product_id470465 &adtype=pla_multichannel&product_channel=online&adpos=1o5&creative144120241137&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclidIaIQobChMI99fg6- 231gIVg5R-Ch347QDIEAQYBSABEgLt2PD_BwE

Your url is a fubar.  Use this one:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/1/1016470465
On Fri 22 Sep 2017 01:21:46a, Nit told us...

Thanks, and sorry!

On 9/21/2017 7:14 PM, Lynn Chabot-Long wrote:

Well, have you got a sewing machine?
--
Maggie

replying to Lynn Chabot-Long, Hidden Barb wrote: They are called patio door or sliding door panels. They are one extra wide panel that can be pulled to one side to allow access to the operable portion of the door without having to open everything at once.

Use regular metal curtain rods with the internal rope and curtain hook holder system I have them going out maybe 12ft on picture windows and doors the middle braces you wont see.

Use regular metal curtain rods with the internal rope and curtain hook holder system I have them going out maybe 12ft on picture windows and doors the middle braces you wont see.
==========================
This is the best idea of all. The OP needs a trip to JC Penney's curtain department. I've found that their people in this department really know what they're talking about.
thanks for your suggestions. I saw the traverse rod, but I don't think that is what i was looking for. I might go for the pipe method. I would have to choose from black steel, electrical EMT, or copper pipe ( it would be painted of course). I'm thinking 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" would do. The only question I guess is can I get end supports for the pipe from curtain stores, and also how would the finials get put on the ends of the pipe? Do they go over the pipe?

You're as likely to find curtain parts to fit your iron pipe as you are to be crowned the king of Denmark. I think you'll find you're totally wingin' it with this project. You might get lucky, but don't count on it. I'd bring a small piece of pipe to the curtain store to see what parts fit.
Mikepier wrote:

I bought bamboo for curtain rods because I have two triple sliders, which require 13' rods. The bamboo is a tad under 2" diam., I believe. I bought wood drawer pulls (round), stained them, and stuck them into the ends of the bamboo poles. You can stick a cork into the end of whatever and screw in any kind of finial you want to use.
You're going to have some pretty heavy rods if you use steel.

Did you need supports? And where can I find bamboo rods?
I bought my pipe at an interior decorating (upholstery) store, along with brackets and finials. There was a wide selection of brackets and finials. The finials screw into the ends of the pipe.
Be smart: be sure to install the brackets holding your curtain rod on studs inside the wall, or on framing or joists in the ceiling. You may need to do a little planning re rod length to get it right.
    Una
On Jan 17, 12:43am, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote:

I think what I'll end up using is 1" EMT ( actually 1 1/4" outside diameter) and paint it. It is stong enough( I tested already) and plus I only need a small finial at the end, which is good because on one side of the patio door are my kitchen wall cabinets, and one of them opens about 3" shy of the case molding around the patio door, so I need a finial that would not interfere with the door opening.
On Jan 17, 12:43 am, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote:

Let us know what you decide. I need to paint my great room but will have to decide what to do about the windows....I have two sets of sliding glass doors side by side. Right now I have a 15" topper going all the way across with lots of supports ... and then vertical blinds beneath. I want something easier to take down and wash (the rods are those continental type that are a pain to take down and it is one long piece). Had thought about PVC pipe - painted - with those curtain rings that slide across the poles.

a hunk of iron.