fixing curtain rail in bay window

My daughter wishes to fix a track around the bay window. The pvc double glazing is full height of the bay and the bay ceiling feels like plasterboard and unlikely to stand the weight.

What is the recommended way to attach a curtain rail?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In message , andrew writes

Best way is probably to fix battens to the ceiling screwing it to the joists. however in my old house I fixed two or three curtain tracks using the RediDriva type screw in fixings e.g.

with maybe the odd screw into a joist if it was in the right place.

These were used with pretty lightweight curtains and stayed up for 2-3 years until we moved

Reply to
chris French

The bit between the top of the window & the ceiling is prolly a cover strip. Drill a small trial hole & see how deep the uPVC is.

If it is a cover strip drill through & into the masonry.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

andrew wibbled on Monday 26 July 2010 21:54

If you can locate the joists accurately, use aluminium or brass I-beam rail (ali is modern, white and not expensive, brass is the same stuff your great aunt had 80 years ago and very expensive - both work brilliantly).

The real issue is whether you have a couple or joists running about the right distance from the left and right sides for the front-back legs.

The rail is more than string enough to span 400mm between solid 1.5" screws into solid wood.

Failing that, and not discounting the other replies to do with battens, you would probably find the PB is strong enough[1] if you use some sort of toggle or expanding fixing the can grab the back of the PB rather than replying on friction.

[1] or is she hanging mentally heavy full length curtains?

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts