Recommendation: New curtain rails - bay windows

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a godo make of curtain rail for a bay window? Anything I need to consider before buying?

I am thinking of popping over to B&Q for one. I've had nightmares in the past trying to get them to work properly but, admittedly, I have not bought a new one for about 15 years so I am out of date re things.

Thanks,

John.

Reply to
John Smith

The best way is to go to a contract furnisher - like a large department store - and get them to make one for you. They have a device like a pipe bender to form the metal runners.

Anything you can DIY is likely to be poor and jam.

I got mine made at John Lewis - it's Kirsh heavy duty corded track - and it's worked well for many a year driven from a curtain motor. It wasn't very much more than the straight track of the same length.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The best way is to buy some finials and brackets. Then buy a 3m length of

15mm copper pipe and bend it to shape with a proper former based pipe bender. Then paint with hammerite. One bracket in the middle and one at each end. Cost: about fifteen quid. Appearance: surprisingly good.

Alternative. Find proprietary bay window rail with all the right bits. Cost: about two hundred pounds. Appearance: awful, with obvious joins at the bends that the rings snag on.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How do you get the brackets to hold the pipe securely?

More importantly, what brackets and where from?

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Just use ones designed for curtain rails. Or any others you find in the hardware section at B&Q.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Have four curtains, one on each outside window, one either side of the centre window. Use ordinary timber curtain poles and rings, as below:

o___________________o / \ / \ o = brackets / \ o/ \o

Looks nice, works well.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I got a pole recently from John Lewis dept store. The off the shelf pole used simply wasnt suitable for the weight of curtains. cost me =A3570 but is excellent (they fit it aswell) and should last for a long time to come. They come out f.o.c to measure angles and the pole is customer built they even hang the curtains for you.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Neil

£570???? Buy the poles and brackets, you can do a solid job that looks good for £50.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Indeed, we did exactly that:

given the use of blinds we don't actually draw the curtains so cannot confidently comment on how well it would run or last under constant use.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thanks all. I am shocked by the prices mentioned and that there appears to be no off the shelf product available. I thought I was going to get recommendations for makes.

Thanks anyhow,

John.

Reply to
John Smith

Yip John Lewis custom made fitted and installed for £620 in a large bay. Works fine via pull cord and hopefully should last many years.

I think its a 30mm SilentGliss pole, 5.2m long with 4 bends.

This is the 3rd type of rail fitted in 5years, the first 2 types coming from B&Q (1= Bendy plastic, 2=corded +bends), a complete waste of time, ages to fit + kept on jamming, meaning you end up putting extra force on the fixings which then work loose eventually.

Reply to
Ian_m