OT: Screwfix carrier bag

All supermarkets are making a significant loss on their own home delivery shopping at the moment - Tesco being the largest online makes the biggest loss on it.

Ocardo is the only company able to do it at a profit, and that's because they put in a large up-front investment so they could do it fully automatically and cheaply. (I've no idea, but I doubt they've repaid that investment yet, although they are running at a profit.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ocado also buy their bags back at the same 5p. Smart really.

If other supermarkets did the same, then once a month or so I'd take all mine back. I'd buy more as I could carry more.

Supermarkets, other than Ocado, seem utterly brainless.

Reply to
Fredxxx

The cannons? Surely "the cannon"!

Reply to
polygonum

Well, I thought that too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They're going to have to apologise again next week.

My wife bought some petrol, and was charged 5p for a bag...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Full of petrol?

Reply to
charles

course not it would spill out of the bag, you can only half fill these bags with petrol so you'll need 2 :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

That maybe so but the service is very good. My wife uses it when she is organising a Pack Holiday for Brownies and we've been most impressed.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Quite, we use online grocery shopping for the bulk of our stuff, beats traipsing around a shop for ages collecting baked beans and toilet rolls

- though I quite often use the click and collect services as well. (and yes it's great when we have an annual group trip to a YH - getting food for 50+ people delivered certainly beats filling a couple fof trolleys u)

Not my problem if it's not making them money.

It is interesting though how once some started (Tesco maybe was the first? I remember using them in the early 2000's) all the big ones have had to join in, even though it doesn't make them money - I guess they are worried about losing customers to rivals if they use a rival online service

The minimum order size, and the delivery costs have crept up though I think - not surprisingly

Reply to
Chris French

I'm still waiting for Aldi or Lidl to offer home deliveries.

MM

Reply to
MM

Ditto. If they charged a more realistic £10 delivery charge it would stil l be worth it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wouldn't work for me. I take a trolley or basket, and walk around the whole store looking for interesting things to buy. When I've got to the end and there's only enough in the basket for half a meal, I have to go around again and try harder.

Stuff like toilet rolls and other regular items I get in bulk from Costco, which means the supermarket shop can normally be carried on foot.

They seem to be doing very well without introducing a loss-making sideline. Probably only sensible way would be to get Ocardo to stock their stuff.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If Ocado deliver Lidl, the world will implode.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, because hardly anyone can get all they need at Aldi or Lidl and Orcado doesn?t operate in much of the world at all.

Reply to
Hanny Z

Potatoes Carrots (other vegetables available) Pork (other animals available) Fish,

butter milk cheese bread biscuits cake

salt pepper (other spices available)

cooking oils

soap detergents bleach

what else is there that you might "need"?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

What the bulk of those who use Aldi or Lidl buy elsewhere for whatever reason, even if they do sell them.

Reply to
Hanny Z

That would be unacceptable to general public.

We have had 'pay for bags' rule for some years, it has avoided millions of bags going into landfill.

Initially a few complaints when first introduced - but very quickly became accepted.... and of course you have the choice, buy a bag if you want to.

Shops cannot circumvent the law by giving a discount, It is illegal for a shop to give you a bag for free.

I don't understand why they did not go back to large paper bags (like in US supermarkets) fully bio-degradable.

I'm hoping the next thing to 'go' will be plastic rings holding 4 pack &

6 pack cans together. These & plastic bag cause a huge amount of marine damage.
Reply to
rick

Unless it is thicker than 70 microns apparently. Go figure...

+1

Reply to
Tim Watts

I bet just as many plastic bin liners go into landfill as there were free carriers.

That's not true, there are lots of exceptions.

But does it take more energy to produce them and distribute them? You need more trucks to distribute them as they are a lot bulkier.

They aren't much use in the rain and you don't need them if you have a car.

We tend not to dump much waste into the sea so it will make no difference.

I am waiting for the first disability suit when a disabled person can't carry everything in their arms like an able bodied person can and gets charged for bags.

Reply to
dennis

You are arguing with a wodney nym shift, what else do you need to know?

Reply to
John Rumm