OT: Screwfix carrier bag

In message , Bod writes

I agree. Our nearest large supermarket (Tesco) is 25 miles away. We buy as much as we can locally, but some stuff is just not available in village shops, so Tesco deliver perhaps once a month. Costs us a pound or two which is a lot cheaper than us driving a 50 mile round trip AND the same van goes to multiple addresses.

Agree with Adrian, too. Driver delivers to back door, and by the time the last crate is delivered, the earlier ones are empty. I empty the last a Wifey checks and signs. Works well for us - but it is a lot easier now we are retired, as times don't matter, and we can both be home when the delivery arrives.

Reply to
News

I would say **fewer** !!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ooh! very punctilious, aren't we.

Reply to
Bod

If each delivery takes 5 minutes extra due to no carrier bags, and the vans deliver every 20 minutes on average, deliveries per day

  • with carriers = 8hrs/20mins = 24 deliveries
  • without carriers = 8hrs/25mins = 19 deliveries so you get 24/19 times as many vans = 26% more on the road. All for the sake of a few grams of plastic. Its yet another green own goal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ocado do give us 5p off for every bag we return for recycling, up to 99 bags per order. I don't know if sandwich bags or used food wrappers count.

Reply to
GB

I tried that but it hurt my feet and wasnt very comfortable when walking :).

Reply to
whisky-dave

I don't directly employee an account or a window cleaner - I engage the services of an accountancy firm and a window cleaning firm. I also engage the services of Google for my e-mail hosting but I would not purport to employ all of Google's employees.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Amazon directly employ over 180,000 people, nearly 8,000 in the UK alone.

centres

Reply to
Adrian

so how come they pay so little tax

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, I'm just an extreme pedant!

Reply to
Bob Eager

What annoyed my so much was having to queue up at the checkout for twice as long whilst Doris attempted to persuade all of the preceding customers to buy a "bag for life" explaining "you have to pay for the others now anyway".

And then she noticed that as the next customer had bought some fish (already wrapped) she was entitled to a free bag, to which (a somewhat fed up) me said, "only if she doesn't put the rest of her shopping in the same bag, "oh no one will notice", she said.

FFS

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The number of FTE staff is calculated by dividing the Total hours employees are CONTRACTED to work by 37.5. This is done on the first day of a reporting period. If you enjoy reading such things see:

Robert

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Yeah, right. Who polices that and who pays for the policing?

Reply to
Nick

Well, if I have it right they pay business rates, VAT and employer's NI. The employees pay employees NI and income tax. There are a number of other ones too.

What they don't do is book much profit through the UK, so corporation tax is lower than it might be for a UK only company.

Corporation tax is 6.2% of the UK tax income.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A 'charity', I think.

Who pays for anything in Scotland?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I hope you reported Doris to the relevant authorities so the supermarket receives a small fine!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Psha! Take your facts and reality somewhere they're wanted...

Reply to
Adrian

1) Reporting it's too petty (I only made an issue of it at all because I was annoyed about already waiting 5 minutes to be served - I was in the "8 items" queue and there were only 2 people in front of me!) 2) I suspect the authorities will be taking a light touch in the first few months and simply issue "guidance" 3) Even when they do switch into "enforcement" mode, I doubt that there will actually be any enforcement. I predict that absolutely nobody will be fined for breaches of this rule in the next 10 years. This is meant to be an "attitude changing" legislation. People are expected to be encouraged to take their own bags to the supermarket because "it's the right thing to do", and if you win over 80% that will be good enough.
Reply to
tim.....

The English ;-)

Reply to