DIY Motorized Golf Bag Carrier

I have been googling for a source for parts to motorize a golf bag cart. So that I could press a micro switch on the handle and have a small DC motor turn the wheels of the cart at about 4 mph.

Has anyone done a similar project or know of a god source for information and parts ?

TIA George in FL.

Reply to
barbarow

I don't know about the propulsion feature, but I think that as long as you're going to pimp out the thing, you should watch the movie Caddy Shack again, and pick up some hot ideas from Rodney Dangerfield's rig.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The battery is going to be a killer. You might pull it off, but think about the battery first.

Calculate ampere-hours based on the current drain on the battery and the on-time for 18 holes. Then, find affordable batteries in that range using a

2X factor (designs often double the need for reliability). Then, look at the size and weight of those batteries. By now, you will be somewhat discouraged.

If you are still avid, think about recharging, life-time, convenience, safety, corrosion issues, liability, and the list goes on.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

what are you talking about? there's dozens of companies that manufacture electric golf "pull" carts. it sounds quite doable.

this one claims its good for 27 holes.

JohnnyYooper

Buy one, use it for a year, and report back.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

maybe you're not a golfer. these gadgets are not uncommon. i've seen them rolling around golf courses for decades. i doubt all these manufacturers (and there are many) would be in business if their products weren't reliable as advetised. google "electric golf caddy".

Reply to
JohnnyYooper

No, I have other forms of mental illness.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

They misspelled rheostat. Is that a bad sign? :)

Reply to
mm

No idea what Mr. Schuler's problem might be, but this isn't a terribly difficult project.

Head off to Ebay & get a scooter motor -- maybe $30 - $50

Next, you'll need batteries. These are heavy but not unbearable. 12v golf cart batteries work fine, but you can also find scooter batteries. These will setup you back another hundred or so.

Finally, some kind of motor controller. Again, it looks like you can ge this on Ebay for around $20.00

Now you just need to put it all together. I'd start with a basic bag cart from the flea market or a garage sale, then figure the placement for the motor & batteries and finally a way to attach the motor to a wheel. The batteries are going to come in around 25 - 50 lbs, so you might want them to be easily removable for transport.

You might want to ask over in comp.robotics.misc as it's full of useful information.

A few years ago I saw a few autonomous carriers -- they'd literally follow you around the course. I wonder whatever happened to them.

Reply to
kyle york

Well, this one's not autonomous, but it does have a remote you can hide in your pocket and fool other golfers into thinking it is.

But, this company promises that they'll have their "follow me anywhere" model available through a dealer network soon:

And Segway is getting into the act too:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Another couple of options occured to me:

The drivable electric cars that are popular with the kids at the moment. You can get these new close-out for $100, or scout the garage sales & get one for less than $50. Everything you need -- motor, wheels, batteries.

I've also seen drivable carts online new for $200. Again, everything you need, just reconfigure.

Unfortunately, one of the most expensive bits is the batteries and there's not a lot you can do to get these on the cheap.

Best o' luck

Reply to
kyle york