Best buys at Lidl

- It's long term reliable in use?

- Ergonomically OK - i.e. can be used a lot without fingers going numb from vibration?

- Service available?

- Spares available?

- Safe to use

No or question marks over all of the above...

It's shit.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar places.

Reply to
Andy Hall

- Imprecision

- Unergonomic

- Unmaintainable

- Time wasting

etc,

Reply to
Andy Hall

Like Stanley?

Mwhahahhahahahahahaha

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not £10, not £5, £2. Just for you. Just today.

You'd sell you're granny?

How? Who?

Oh puhlease.

Passing what? Wind or water?

Reply to
Andy Hall

3 yr guarantees. Only 1 yr for your Makitas

As good as any other.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No Nos or ? So, must be brill.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Less than £7. The price of a few pints. I would be pissed off if I spent £70 and they failed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That must be why Bosch supply their tools in totally sealed boxes :-)

But I think I'll stick with my 140 quid Bosch and continue buying carbide blades at over 10 quid for 3.

Reply to
Matt

Lord Hall, you must.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yep, buy 250 tea bags for £1.25 and get 250 crap cups of tea...buy 250 tetley tea bags for £3.49 and get 750 nice cups of tea as each tea bag can give 3 cups.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

So my saw horses can't be any good simply because they were cheap? They happen to be extreemly well made.

And what would be wrong with the food in these outlets? They operate in an entirely different way to our major supermarkets, which reduces their costs dramatically.

Simple snobbery is applied in the UK where the 'hard discounters' have less than 4% of the market. In Europe they have nearly 20% of the market. Not uncommon in Denmark to see a Lidl, Aldi or Netto car park full of Mercs, BMW's & the like.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

All the people I know who shop in Lidls/Aldi make buying decisions based on careful consideration of value for money. They all discuss, often in irritating detail, whats worth buying and why, you only have to look on the discount forums for comprehensive lists of what/what not to buy.

It is a scientific fact that snobs are incapable of making decisions on what is/is not value for money. Their decisions are based on worries about what their d*****ad friends would say and have to put down the people with more sense than money for their shopping habits.

We once had an associate round for dinner and after he had repeatedly praised the "wonderful meal" conversation turned to shopping. He could not understand why we were laughing at him when he said that the sort of people who shop in Lidls wouldn't know what was good food :-)

Henry

Reply to
Henry

You hold a stocks share in Aldi/Lidl and I claim my £5

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Huh??? What on earth does a guarantee have to do with reliability?

It can mean one of several things:

- Manufacturer has quality product which will have a low return rate and a long guarantee will have little financial impact

- Manufacturer has a crap product, made cheaply which sells in volume and which punters won't bother to return, again having little financial impact.

Oh please.

Where?

Where?

Never falls apart, catches fire,.....

Like the Ryobi products from last week......

Ah I see....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quite. One needs to be a discerning buyer in all things. Buying anything on price, be it tools or beer is a foolhardy enterprise.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I didn't say that. A saw horse is hardly an object of complexity.

Poor quality rubbish thrown in boxes.

That's one way to put it.

Actually neither is a particularly attractive way in terms of quality and presentation of food.

Snobbery really doesn't come into it. These discount outlets are not typically located in areas with higher average income. That is the choice of the suppliers - i.e. their strategy is to target customers who are more price sensitive. Plainly it isn't working in the form they are doing it. 96% of the market doesn't want to shop in this way.

We are in Europe last time I checked the map....

Denmark is a different market to the UK. Sweden is different to Denmark. In France, even in hypermarkets, one normally sees good quality food, well presented.

It's a matter of what customers will accept in terms of price, quality and presentation.

In the UK, the cheap-skate outlets have two of these wrong. That's why they have 4% market share.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm glad that they have the time to waste on this nonsense.

Scientific fact? That's a good one.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Snap-On tools are high quality with a lifetime guarantee. They are horrendously expensive, like 3 times as everyone else for similar quality. Other makes give lifetime guarantees too, at 1/3 of the price.

Makita only give 1 year, while even B&Qs PP Pro give 3, as do Lidl and Aldi. If Makita were so good they would give 3 years. They would stand by their products. Yes price can be a guarantee of quality, but you may also be ripped off too.

The quality is good, not tat. They don't take credit cards and the overheads are low reflecting the low prices. You see stuff laid out on pallets. The ranges are not comprehensive, like the main supermarkets.

Yep. Most shop at these place for cheap basic foods you buy many of, and then to the other supermarkets to fill in. There was a survey on buyers attitudes. The British are petty snobs. One pillock on this list dismissed Aldi because he said he saw some Pikies in there. Pathetic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nice one.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not a reasoned argument. Take a look at Metabo, Festool, Panasonic and a number of others and you will also find 3 yr guarantees. The basis of these is rather different.

Not being ripped off is a function of looking at *all* of the criteria, not just the price.

No service, poor presentation, .......

Exactly.

Exactly.

Really?

You can apply whatever label you like.

The reality is that UK customers are not buying into this nonsense and are voting with their feet and their wallets.

Reply to
Andy Hall