Best buys at Lidl

So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyon
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them
-- Part P Avoider
Part P Avoider Wrote:

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s** from this rubbish shop
-- Cordless Crazy

Not all cheap shit is crap. Maybe they don't have 100's to spend when they need a tool. OK if you are a big DIYer but if you only do the odd job why spend so much on something you will only use a couple time.
My drill is just about dieing after 8.5 years of occasional use - cost 14.99. Hmm do I spend 50/100 on a branded dewalt etc corded drill or go for another cheap one. A cheap one it is for me.

You're making the assumption that occasional use should equate with cheap.
This ignores accuracy, ease of use, controllability, servicability and outcome which are separate issues.
--

.andy

No, some of it is stolen. :-)

If a job's worth doing. . . .
My attitude is that if I can't afford to buy a quality tool, I will get someone in to do it who *has* the right tool. I did this with my kitchen worktop. It was done for a third of the price of the correct tools. I already have a cheap router and it was obviously ridiculous to try using it.

Because the tool needs to be fit for the purpose. Cheap stuff can be inaccurate, unreliable and sometimes downright dangerous.

With no disrespect intended, your use of cheap tools will be apparent in your work quality.
--
AJL

Rob Convery

We will wait and see. SO lets say to cut a few new floorboards that need replacing my 20 jig saw is not suitable? Pay someone to come in and replace a few floorboards? Obviously it comes down to the job. I got a mate in for the kitchen surface - as you say it needs to be perfect but there are soo many jobs that you won't ever see the final 1mm of a cut etc.
The quality of workman is what matters the most. IMO. A good workman with OK tools can often produce a better job than a poor workman with the best tools in the world.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Having the tool that will do the job for you is all that matters. Joining a kitchen worktop is an extreme example. The jig alone will cost 100 to do that job. But why didn't you just hire the stuff? That would have been cheaper.

Yes, they can be but that doesn't mean all low cost tools are or that they are not accurate enough to serve what is required of them.

That depends on the skill of the worker more than the tool and certainly won't be apparent in many jobs. Some cheaper tools may take more time to do the job or may not last as long as other more expensive tools but I doubt whether you could tell the difference in the finished job, in most cases.

it.
Having the tool that will do the job for you is all that matters. Joining a kitchen worktop is an extreme example. The jig alone will cost 100 to do that job. <<<
Nope. 50 from Screwfix. B&Q sell a 1/2" PP Pro router for less than 50 with bits and all to cut a worktop.
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Are you really using a publicly viewable forum to acuse Lidl of selling stolen goods?
Matt Beard wrote:

Well, they *do* sell a "stollen"[1].
[1] The stuff in a box is better than the cellophane wrapped "rolled up" stuff IMO.
says...

Mmm Stollen :-) Are they open on Sunday?

Stop! Don't. It's more addictive than crack.
Peter Scott
Rob Morley wrote:

You'll need a large estate car to get it home!
Chris Bacon wrote:

And very nice it is too

The point is that the stuff is not generally s**t. It is on specials, so cheap. The good deals will sell out within hours. The Aldi and Lidl SDS drills are superb value for 25 - when the special is on.

- It's long term reliable in use? - Ergonomically OK - i.e. can be used a lot without fingers going numb from vibration? - Service available? - Spares available? - Safe to use
No or question marks over all of the above...
It's shit.
--

.andy

everyone
3 yr guarantees. Only 1 yr for your Makitas

As good as any other.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
No Nos or ? So, must be brill.

Huh??? What on earth does a guarantee have to do with reliability?
It can mean one of several things:
- Manufacturer has quality product which will have a low return rate and a long guarantee will have little financial impact
- Manufacturer has a crap product, made cheaply which sells in volume and which punters won't bother to return, again having little financial impact.

Oh please.

Where?
Where?
Never falls apart, catches fire,.....
Like the Ryobi products from last week......

Ah I see....
--

.andy

Matt, your beloved Makita: http://tinyurl.com/azvce

A lot of people have got rich from selling to idiots who think if it's expensive it must be good quality.