Best buys at Lidl

So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyon

who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them

-- Part P Avoider

Reply to
Part P Avoider

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s** from this rubbish shop

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Not all cheap shit is crap. Maybe they don't have £100's to spend when they need a tool. OK if you are a big DIYer but if you only do the odd job why spend so much on something you will only use a couple time.

My drill is just about dieing after 8.5 years of occasional use - cost £14.99. Hmm do I spend £50/100 on a branded dewalt etc corded drill or go for another cheap one. A cheap one it is for me.

Reply to
Rob Convery

No DIY deals. They have specials, and as its near Xmas it is all Xmas stuff. Aldi have some in. I saw Rotothingy for £10, a reciprocating saw for £15 and other stuff too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The point is that the stuff is not generally s**t. It is on specials, so cheap. The good deals will sell out within hours. The Aldi and Lidl SDS drills are superb value for £25 - when the special is on.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If it works fine and does the job you need of it, why not? Just because the stuff is cheap doesn't mean it's shit.

I bought one of the Lidl circular saws (same as the one sold at Aldi) and it's been great so far. Plenty of power, quick cutting and jamming. I thought the laser guide was a gimmick but it does actually work! Instead of focusing on the blade I now just focus on the laser and get a decent cut.

Just to add a little story. I was working at mate's place and he had this tradesman in laying laminate flooring for him. The guy had a full kit of shiny new DeWalt tools and I could see him sneering at my mixed bag of cheapo brands. After seeing the cutting work he had done with his DeWalt jigsaw it was me who had the last laugh. Even a blind man with an axe would have made better cuts.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

But the Jiggy doesn't do the sawing it's the blade and a shoddy workman. :-P

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's the point I was making, having an expensive tool doesn't automatically make you skillful.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

They haven't had many tools for a while, AFAIR, and none that I need!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Dunno, I've never done that.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No, the point is he's doing it for a living so therefor he can be selective in the tools he buys because a few jobs will pay for that tool and its uneconomical to buy cheap tools if you use them on a daily basis.

p.s cutting laminate at the ends does not have to be straight as this will be hidden. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That's irrelevant to my post and the point I was making. But are you referring to cheap as in quality or price?

It doesn't have to precise, of course, but it should be relatively straight. Leaving cuts with peaks without any room for expansion isn't a proper job. This guy's work was atrocious.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

They don't (usually) sell rubbish though.

I recently stocked up with 2kg dry powder fire extinguishers for a tenner each.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A pair of steel folding 'saw horses'. Heavy guage square section steel, sturdy locking hinges, built like a brick outbuilding. £3:99 each.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in looks and quality to Stanley: pliers, side cutters, strippers, gland pliers, long nosed pliers. I went wild and spent less than £7. They are "very" good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Aldi: a reciprocating power saw. Very well made £15. SDS drill, £25 for a relative. I wouldn't have minded keeping it myself; a Makita look-alike. All 3 year guarantee and service backup with most of them. Lidl: Their Parkside (German) circular lazer saw., £25. It is "very" good. I was looking at the jig-saw in Aldi last week. This was impressive. The quality of the base was far better than many Bosch I have seen. The overall build was excellent, £15.

Even if their are no specials on, they occasionally have some power tools left over for sale, so worth a walk in if you are passing.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You mean dreadful rubbish ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Stanley versions were £9.99 each, while I bought the lot for under £7.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're making the assumption that occasional use should equate with cheap.

This ignores accuracy, ease of use, controllability, servicability and outcome which are separate issues.

Reply to
Andy Hall