Best buys at Lidl

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:48:31 -0000, "Henry" <Henryaintgonnatell.sunnysideup.com> wrote:>We once had an associate round for dinner and after he had repeatedly

Who else is selling decent shallots (French) at the moment ? The English ones have finished at my local greengrocer.
OTOH, why has their "three flavours" posh chocolate gone down to just two, losing the Madagascan that was the best of the lot ? 8-(
Andy Dingley wrote:

Not to mention the (forget the name - good sign!) canned wheat beer at 79p a tin (light blue in colour). Me and SWMBO (a conniseur of anything between 4% and 14% ABV) - on the odd occasion that we fancy a beer find this one of the most drinkable beers from a tin.
Local Lidl (hey, it's around the corner so we do pop in from time to time) stocks all local grocery products at 1/2 price of the local Morrisons (and it lasts longer!), and cartons of fruit juice are very good both in terms of quality and price. Cured meats, being German, are also of good quality. In terms of variety of food, well, that's the downfall, and the reason our weekly shopping does come from a UK supermarket, however, there are gems to be had.
Back onto the subject matter; Have bought a 5 angle grinder and a 18V cordless drill from Lidl - both of which have been adequate in use and considered good value. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I'm with drivel on this one.All Lidl power tools are very well made. probably 90% of the hand tools are worth buying too.
sponix

everyone
Next Thurs Lidl have some tool specials: http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20051208.index
The 25 circular saw is "excellent".
Also next Thurs, Aldi have a 24v hammer drill from 25. It has a Johnson motor, so of good quality. http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/product_4911.html
All tools 3 year guarantee as usual.

Well, I personally only tend to use food the once.

This at least eliminates you from being canine or bovine..... :-)
--

.andy

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:02:00 +0000, Cordless Crazy

Often, Lidl power tools are made in Germany and are of good quality.
sponix
sPoNiX wrote:

Hmm. My saw is a Chinese one, as is my Aldi SDS drill (still hammering away fine). Nothing wrong with that, though, as many Makita, Bosch and other "well known brands" are also Chinese.

Certainly the odds and ends I've bought are OK.

I have a Lidl "dremel" type thing that is german, drill and also a jigsaw.
However they are three or four years old now.

The Aldi SDS has a 6 months pro and 3 yr DIY guarantee. That says something in itself.

It certainly does. How many pros expect to replace something like that every 6 months?
--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

PMSL......
It certainly does.
--

.andy

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:58:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.com (sPoNiX) wrote:

How would you know ? Lidl are just about the most cryptic company around for hiding the country of origin on their products.
If you're buying cheap power tools that really are _made_ in Germany, then chances are they're made somewhere like Erfurt. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Shanghai's finest.
Andy Dingley wrote:

If you look at the details on the label (any 5 or 6-digit number) and put that and a simple description into Google, you can sometimes find out.
Chris Bacon wrote:

If it has a bar code there is a website from someone like the international bar code association which will tell who made it - although Lidl may have had it packed with their barcode.
Dave

No DIY deals. They have specials, and as its near Xmas it is all Xmas stuff. Aldi have some in. I saw Rotothingy for 10, a reciprocating saw for 15 and other stuff too.
Part P Avoider wrote:

They haven't had many tools for a while, AFAIR, and none that I need!
Part P Avoider wrote:

A pair of steel folding 'saw horses'. Heavy guage square section steel, sturdy locking hinges, built like a brick outbuilding. 3:99 each.
Dave

Aldi: a reciprocating power saw. Very well made 15. SDS drill, 25 for a relative. I wouldn't have minded keeping it myself; a Makita look-alike. All 3 year guarantee and service backup with most of them. Lidl: Their Parkside (German) circular lazer saw., 25. It is "very" good. I was looking at the jig-saw in Aldi last week. This was impressive. The quality of the base was far better than many Bosch I have seen. The overall build was excellent, 15.
Even if their are no specials on, they occasionally have some power tools left over for sale, so worth a walk in if you are passing.

Not 10, not 5, 2. Just for you. Just today.

You'd sell you're granny?

How? Who?

Oh puhlease.

Passing what? Wind or water?