Cheap CFLs at Lidl

Those of you who enjoy straining your eyes in the unnaturally coloured dim light of slow starting devices made by Chinese slaves and destined to pollute groundwater while taking centuries to break down in the landfill to which they are consigned after half their supposed service life ...

... might light to know that Lidl are doing 11W CFLs by Philips for

49p each or 5 for 40p (sic). or at least Lidl in Dumfries is. It might not apply outside Scotland, since Scottish Gas is involved, and for that matter it may not apply outside Dumfries. But hey - 8p each. At that price wrecking your eyes /and/ the environment doesn't seem too bad!

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

They have been found here in London. And other retailers are in on the act.

But hey - 8p each. At

Buy them up in bulk and then resell later on eBay when these things eventually are priced without subsidy. As I see it, as eBay has dropped listing fees so ye can afford to list and relist forever until you make a sale.

I note

has now sold a few ...

Reply to
Adrian C

All it needs now is somebody to make a nice compact twin-bulb adaptor so you can get a good brightness from existing fittings with CFL bulbs and we're sorted.

I have a 25W 'daylight' bulb in the living room which is about right. 11W seems a bit inadequate to me... leading to SAD type complaints I wqould think, when in widespread use.

Reply to
PCPaul

Well, I have posted this link a couple of times before...

I have a 25W 'daylight' bulb in the living room which is about right. 11W

I picked up some Feit 23W spiral ones in Costco, and they've been very good -- no failures so far and some are running in enclosed fittings. They're warm white. Unfortunately, they ran out of the BC ones months ago, and haven't had any more in. IIRC, they were

4 for about £6. They've still got ES ones (and some lower power BC and ES ones).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sorted!

Graham.

go with them.

But AIUI they are banned so you cannot actually buy them new

Reply to
Alang

The earliest use I can remember putting that to, was feeding mains to the Gnome Beta II enlarger and safelight in my darkroom under the stairs. Circa 1966.

Reply to
Graham.

Oh no.. seeker drones now have lightsabers as well!

Nice link.

Reply to
PCPaul

Flippin youngsters ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

Went in there today, and the 23W BC ones are back in stock. They're in boxes of 6 now, and ISTR they worked out in the region of £1.50 each (can't recall exact price). That's good for a genuine 100W equivalent CFL.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel