Beeny's back

Its close at 120V ;-)

Well according to google, 60 "cups" is just over 14 litres.

740W / hour is 2.664MJ, so with 14 litres that gives a temperature rise of only 45 deg C, which is not much cop

Indeed...

Not sure I fancy tea made from water that has been sat in the boiler for the last half a dozen hours either!

Reply to
John Rumm

Would have thought that this would be your style ...

Reply to
Adrian C

That does show some inventiveness.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

big snip

Not strictly true; many teas are perfectly infused at temperatures of

175degF; it's just 'normal sea-level' dwellers that use a kettle to produce 'boiling water' [212degF] to infuse tea. During my service career I was stationed at altitude >5,000 ft, and although water boiled way before it reached 100DegC we didn't have problems brewing up our cuppas. BTW, normal cabin altitude for aircraft is 8,000 ft - most ailines serve decent cuppas at this altitude.(cabin pressure).

BW2 - we couldn't use a washing machine on 'White Wash'; the water boiled and turned to steam _before_ the temperature reached 95degC!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Yes, they always do a run-down at the end of all the costs involved, and not once have I ever seen anything included for the top-of-the-range furniture which they always have in the house at the end. On the Propert Ladder microsite at Channel 4's site, they always provide full details of all the suppliers, and I remember once checking out a furniture rental company mentioned on there for 'staging' purposes - can't recall the costs but remember it was hugely expensive, with a wacking great minimum fee to cover removals/transport.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Start falling. I have heard that crap every year for 10 years. The country is short of houses. I can't see that happening.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Everything you see on TV is a lie. Sometimes it's a little lie (noddies, Queens storming in instead of out, cat's names) and sometimes it's a big lie (whenever a politician opens their gob, anything at all written, said or filmed by Michael Moore). But it's never the unvarnished truth.

Reply to
Huge

Some lighter teas, yes, perhaps.

I suspect most service cuppas have plenty of milk and sugar, after which you can't taste the tea anyway!

I beg to differ!

Somehat alarming I would imagine!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

And the "simple sword of truth" is the biggest lie of all.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

A neighbour is a painter / decorator, he mentioned a colleague who was called to a house where a couple of old age pensioners were supposed to be doing a make-over of the entire house.

The production company wanted the decorator to do just one corner of each room where the OAP's were to stand.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

No, that's "the cheque's in the post"

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not much of a tea drinker, then? I bet you use tea bags.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But how does it work? My quick calculations suggest that with a 2800W power consumption in the 3 seconds stated it will only heat 25ml of water. Or, to heat the 220ml that they talk about will take 26 seconds. This is assuming an incoming water temperature of 20C and a final temperature of boiling.

Andrew

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Ah. W used to have one of these thgs at work.

Small container of constantly heated water.

Enough for a teapot, then it reheats.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You haven't been on Lufthansa, have you ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I worked for a TV company many years ago, and this is how it's all done.

Reply to
Huge

So not really going to save much energy then if it has to keep said container constantly heated even if it is well insulated. For home use it might be twelve hours between one cuppa and the next. I have also always been told that tea should be made with fresh boiling water - wouldn't fancy making it from water that has been sitting around for half a day.

Might be OK in an office but this seems to be targeted at home use.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Over on Amazon people seem either to love or hate it.

user manual is available on-line, and includes the strange instruction:

I suspect this is not actually what they meant to say, but it does suggest that there is a degree of pre-heating necessary to achieve the initial 3 second delivery.

They clearly warn that the water is not boiling.

They also say:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

So your original axiom "4. You don't make tea at 190degF (still less 140) (again probably US). Good old 212 required" _might _ just be False? Do I detect a slight withdrawal?

Please cite your exact 'service' experience of operating at altitudes >

5,000 ft. Although a 'NATO std' brew will include milk and sugar - to provide instant energy- there are actually a number of sites, messes, and aircraft operating at altitudes where water boilis _way_ below 212defF/100degC. I suspect your opinion is based not on experience but pre-judgement. I've imbibed many cups of tea brewed 'at altitude'; indeed it was a specific point I researched prior to being 'posted' to such a station.

Tell it to the tea buyers and brewers from the airlines.

Just another hazard experienced while serving 'The Queen'! I did contact the British Maufacturer and was told that apart from a machine in the resteraunt on top of Mt Snowdon ... they hadn't experienced any other complaint.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

They're falling already in some places. The headline asking prices may be similar but houses are selling at considerable discounts.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq