Kev on TV last night.

McCoud that is. Man is obvoiusly a complete knobber. He made a personal expedition down Londons sewers to get a bucket of shit in order to make paraffin for his shed lighting. Is Dribble's real name Kev?

No limit to what attention seekers will do.

And the new "Grand Designs" is degenerating into a tour of glassboxes. Again.

Mind you, I belive all architects are knobbers.

Reply to
harry

Really, I think the Myth busters simply collected their own.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They use shit to make pro biotic yoghurt too. Amazing what you learn off the tele ennit?

Reply to
stuart noble

Yeah, I though some of the make do and mend stuff was a bit moronic given that they were seen fixing the structural planks together with bespoke metal fixings.

And does a shingle roof really not need "ridge tiles"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I thought it was interesting - no planning permission needed for what is effectively a trailer? We're looking at getting a container for our allotments - which we think as a 'permanent' thing needs PP. Putting it on wheels would mean it doesn't. Apart from having to bury the wheels so we can easily get a rotavator in it - will there be any other issues? (Other than the possibly astronomic cost of a wheel base being more than planning permission would?)

Reply to
mogga

In article , mogga writes

I didn't see it but can't see the difference between a wheeled trailer and a caravan which does need PP if used long term, or was he not intending to use it for residential use?

Btw, is anyone else seeing an element of pot, kettle and black in the o/p's post?

Reply to
fred

I have never been down a sewer to collect shit.

Reply to
harry

So what you need is a liaison officer to schedule a date to swap with the caravan from another allotment so that you can get around the rules.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I have never been to the moon to buy green cheese, either, harry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was just ridiculous.

On his point that, "you can erect anything if it's mobile"; I didn't see any attempt to take the weight of the chassis while it was in that hole. It can remain mobile, but be held up by jacks or piers to take the weight off the tyres, which will just rot in the hole.

Knobber, indeed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It surely would make a bit more sense - if not much - to use an onsite toilet to generate methane and store it in a bag or gasometer for lighting - and put the gaslight outside the window! Once digested it can then be legally disposed of nearby.

He didn't seem to realise that pressurised boiling liquid fuel toches & lamps have quite a poor safety record, its why we use gas now.

I might go with LED or CFL lighing on battery primarily for summer, and bottled gas lighting primarily for winter.

Its become boring. How many times can one make a big minimalist box using modern tried & tested building approaches. If he's going to keep interest he needs to morph the model into something that can recapture viewer interest.

One possibility might be to push the boat out rather further, using a percentage of the tv program income to persuade owners to push it with some of the technology. I've certainly got no shortage of innovative house design ideas.

Another might be to build a variety of very small fringe dwellings - which his wooden trailer is, albeit a far too tame one. A budget of 5k largely paid for by the tv program gives far more scope than that - google phoenix commotion for some fine examples.

any architect that tries to spend 10k of a client's money to get a shadow around door frames without even asking would certainly incur my wrath.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Agreed, but he gets to visit nice people's nice houses, so we still watch him.

His script is about as predictable for its over-played constructed dramas as CSI:Miami.

WTF? He could at least have boiled a tree for it, or gone down the Ironbridge tar tunnel.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No need when you talk so much shit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How do you make paraffin from s**te anyway?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I didn't know you could. It explains the old advert.

Reply to
Onetap

I could see methane being a possibility - but why mention paraffin? And if I needed s**te to make methane, I'd go to the local cow field with a shovel.

Reply to
Tim Watts

He wasn't making paraffin from shit, but from the congealed fat that accumulates in the drains - the sewer chappy referred to it as "fatbergs".

Reply to
Huge

Oh - that makes sense. In a weird and twisted way...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Shame you can't make paraffin from s**te telly.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

A sewer chappy? Sounds very tory