live on a council

like me (and probably

changes. The reaction of

inflation protected

that little problem.

encourages short term

in 5 years or less. Do

democracies. And WTF are we

In a democracy *every* decision would be determined explicitly by the will of the people. I wonder if the technology to do that would be cheaper than paying for MPs...

Reply to
Dave Gordon

Granville (enquiring about two unsuccessful burglars): "Did you get a look at them?" Arkwright (up a ladder at Nurse Gladys' window, where she has just appeared in a low-cut nightie): "Yes. One were bigger than the other."

Reply to
Dave Gordon

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@iris.uk.clara.net...

Life is a lottery, but you can do a lot to influence your own odds of success.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

We could adapt the National Lottery system.

That might be difficult to enforce with the National Lottery system and we'd end up with government policy decided by people willing to part with lots of pound coins every week. I am assuming we keep the one pound per go, as it's a form of taxation that seems well accepted by the general populace, is 100% voluntary, and neatly fits the 'no taxation without representation' principle.

Call me liberal, but I think I'd let the ladies vote too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought that it was Beeny's front that was the centre of attraction?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Cats and dogs too

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Not a good week to be a flat earther.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

a low-cut nightie):

Sure it wasn't "...bu-bu-bu-buuuuuh-bububu-buhuhuhuhuh-bu-bigger than the other?"

David

Reply to
Lobster

Or you could play windscreen wipers -)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Take your head from out of your silly tiny minded Tory bum!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@iris.uk.clara.net...

Dot com boom. Plus 16 years of hard work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're from an IT background

you have as much an idea of hard work as you have how to spell ...

Reply to
geoff

You are correct. My spelling is excellent, and I am an incredibly hard worker.

My typing is of course shit - especially in this keyboard.

But actually I am an engineer by training. It for the money and a financial person and manager cos no one else wanted to take it on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Really !

In Italian Lire ? Greek Drachma, or what ?

We'd be lucky to get £300k for our house which is jointly owned by myself & SWMBO. When we go it will be split between 3 kids if we choose to leave it to them . Not exactly a "Bonzana" is it ?

What do you expect when they spend the money that we in our time used to save up for a deposit on a house on clubbing and binge drinking until their late 20's / early 30's ?

??

No, my phone is a LG KC275, £9.99 inc vat (which I can recover) from Sainsbury's, it's still on offer with £1.00 of free calls. It's fine.

OTOH My newly graduated daughter (21, still at home) has a LG Shine she bought off of Ebay for £170.00 (no vat) in January. She says she's ready to change it, because they've brought out a pink one now.

She and her mates go out clubbing up to 3x per week (She has Ca 140 ex school / Uni mates on MSN and they all have a birthday once per year) and spend typically £50-£75 on drinks and taxis per binge each, except when they have to travel 200-400 miles on the train to meet up somewhere, and then there's a hotel to pay for, and birthday presents (typically designer cosmetics) are extra.

This behaviour is entirely normal for those in her peer group, and for other children in our extended family all over the UK. The young male adults tend to travel all over Europe going to away football matches as well as.

It will indeed be a very long time before any of them can afford to buy a house.

YMMV but I fail to see why my estate should be purloined by the state to pay for social housing for them.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In London. I remember seeing on a property program, a bog-standard terraced house in London costing over 1 million quid. By the way, anyone know how much the houses in Albert Square would cost it it was real ? Are all the dregs of society that live there millionaires ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I could afford a terraced house in Chiswick on one (pretty average) salary in the mid sixties. Prices are now so out of reach for 30 somethings that there's no point thinking about domesticity. Remortgage your house, give them 50K each, and you might see some grandchildren before you're too old to kick a ball around :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yup! Kids in their 20s living with their parents or clubbing together to get on the property ladder. I'm also concerned about their expectations of later life. I, like many others contributed to robust pension schemes and am now enjoying the fruits. The opportunities are not there for them - apart from the majority in the state sector, which will have to be addressed. They see my generation having fun in old age and anticipate it will be the same for them, failing to realise the significance of the degradation of pension schemes which is likely to hit them hard.

Reply to
clot

person? should they

things? What about a

Should he be forced to

to the house of

planning need to stand

platform. The

everybody lived the

investigate

should live on a council

like me (and probably

changes. The reaction of

inflation protected

on that little problem.

encourages short term

in 5 years or less.

democracies. And WTF are

the people. I wonder

No more debates or vote trading in parliament, just publish the question and get

20 million interested voters to say yes or no on every question.
Reply to
Dave Gordon

valuable person? should they

things? What about a