Property Ladder

Hi All

Anyone watch this last night?

Couple of no brainer idiots restoring a house in Richmond who managed to go over budget by about £60K. Unusable bathroom, pointless downstairs loo etc. Spent £20K on a kitchen when their budget was £4.5K.

I suppose it wouldn't make good telly if they listened to Sarah Beaney and kept to a sensible budget, but these losers needed to sell for £460K just to break even.

I wonder if they will ever make a follow up show so we can find out what happened in the end? Did they ever sell?

My fav was the two sisters in Poole who tarted up a 1930's house so it looked like a Turkish brothel.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I'd kill for a professionals advice in the renovation we're doing at the moment, and I'd make damn sure I listened to it as well!

The do a follow up series called Property Ladder Revisited. Its actually quite amazing how so many of them completely f**k up the 1st development, sell it on at a decent profit and manage in later developments to actually get it right !

Reply to
Séan Connolly

No, because it wasn't on.

Reply to
Matt

I didn't see it, but a renovation I am going to do I will be "doing" the bathroom and maybe a downstairs loo. Can you tell me what was the problem with these rooms, so that I might not repeat their mistakes ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I think that is mostly down to the fact that while the majority of the developments featured on the show took place, the housming market rose a lot so they would have made money if they'd done no work at all (as Beaney often reminds them!)

Reply to
Richard Conway

yeah it was, Discovery H&L

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Whilst channel hopping the other day, me and the missus came to the conclusion that it won't be long before, at any time of the day, on some channel or other, you will be able to find Delia Smith cooking any recipe ever concocted.

Or maybe its already happened!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Sure (which is always rather amusing when you think about it). I saw one where the guy was totally clueless, started messing about with the party walls without permission, flooded his neighbours flat, generally couldn't score in a brothel etc etc. In revisited program he ended up as a project manager for other peoples developments! Beggars belief really...

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Well if they can manage to synchronise adverts over god knows how many channels then I can't see why not!

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Simon, the problem was that these people were given good sensible advice from someone who knows what they are doing, but they decided to ignore it. My advice to you, as a professional myself, is to find your own Chartered Architect or Building Surveyor who knows what they are doing, and make sure you follow their advice. It may cost a few hundred bucks up front, but it could save you thousands.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

I will be using an architect, but above response sounds a bit uppity (!) Can anyone tell me what was wrong with the rooms in question ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The upstairs bathroom was between two bedrooms with shared access, but was simply too small. They were going to put a Japanese style bath in, but even that was too big, so they ended up with a smaller one still. It wasn't big enough to lay in, but too high to easily step into for a shower.

The downstairs loo used up a lot of space and made the kitchen just too small for a table & chairs.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Take it however you like, it was meant in good faith. I'm glad to see you're taking professional advice - I was concerned about that, because many of your questions here recently have indicated that you are taking on a project yourself which is, shall I say, maybe a little too complicated for your current knowledge (e.g. Party Wall procedures, Building Regs applications etc). Anyway, good luck to you.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Saw this one the first time around. The lady just thought she was some hot shit designer and probably tried to use the program as a platform to launch her career as one. Husband obviously had enough money to let her play with and I think their claim that they'd already been offered

1/2 million was total tosh.
Reply to
daddyfreddy

Last nights episode was a treat to watch. A couple who listened to Sarah, keep very close to budget, didn't go overboard with their personal foibles and renovated to suit the local market.

Sold the house on day one & made £14K!

I thought it was better telly that some of the nutters.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Peter, sorry for the tone ! It is too complicated for my current knowledge, which is why I am asking questions. I got an architect because I realised he would be double-checking my ideas. However, as others have said, its not rocket science !

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Did they give his name? Drivel exposed?

Reply to