Property Ladder

OOoo looks like a laugh..

Channel: Channel 4 Date: Tuesday 13 January Time: 8:00pm to 9:00pm

Review Sarah Beeny presents a series following amateur property developers around the country. Sharon Lennon and Mark Standing have given up their well-paid jobs to embark on a development career, beginning with a large rundown property in Winchmore Hill, north London. Two weeks into the project they go on holiday, leaving a friend and the builder in charge - with disastrous consequences.

Reply to
Suz

I like the way these guys think : "It's our first development. We haven't had any income for a year. We're trying to smash the price ceiling. I know what we'll do : bugger off on holiday and let the builder get on with it..."

They should be shot.

Reply to
Greg W

"Greg W" wrote | I like the way these guys think : | "It's our first development. We haven't had any income for a | year. We're trying to smash the price ceiling. I know what | we'll do : bugger off on holiday and let the builder get on | with it..." | They should be shot.

Apart from The Beam - which wasn't disastrous by any means, they only had to chip out a few bricks to move it, and nothing collapsed - and not putting in an en-suite or two, they didn't make too many mistakes, and I don't think they went too far over budget did they?

They even took La Beeney's advice over doing up the garden, and left in some Period Feechers.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On a nil income, just how (and who from) did they borrow the £380K to buy the property in the first place ?

Reply to
No-one

Yes. How irritating it was that it all worked out fine for them, wasn't it ?

Reply to
Ted Woodley

In article , Ted Woodley writes

Nearly every week it does work out OK though, however many of SB's suggestions they ignore and however annoying they are. i'm convinced they pick annoying people to make "more interesting TV".

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Daddy?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

But the holiday had been planned a fair time before they decided to start the project so I guess they would have not got much money back if they had cancelled it. Still, pretty stupid thing to do.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

This was another occasion where the developers paid scant attention to Sarah Beeney's advice, although they weren't quite in the same league as the lady from Greece/New York and her hubby. On last night's show, however, I did have to agree with the developer that the builder was at fault to put the I-beam in so that it protruded up into the bedroom. Hopefully we don't have construction workers on Network Rail who decide on a whim to relocate some important bit of metal somewhere without checking with the client.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Oh, I dunno. I think it would make quite an interesting change if the developer listened to all of SB's advice and carried it out to the letter. We would then see the final result and hear the comments from the prospective buyers. How curious that the latter always seem to pass a remark, such as "it could have done with an en suite here", when, lo and behold, this was exactly the item suggested by Sarah that the developer ignored! Strange that. Surely the prospects are not collared out by the production team beforehand and told what to say...

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I do think that's a little harsh on the builder, he was instructed that they wanted a straight through ceiling in the kitchen and as the beam had to either stick up or down then that only left up. I did wonder though whose mistake it was in it not fitting and whether or not 2 shallower beams in parallel could have done the job with no protrusions.

Reply to
James Hart

Agreed totally. I'm sure there's quite a few example left in the archives as the people involved were i) sane, ii) normal iii) not overly spoilt/rich iv) listened to reason.

It's an interesting watch but it gets to me just how much money is gained by the people who do little than manage a build. They want to try to lay a few bricks themselves....

Reply to
Reckless

Not quite so clear cut IIRC. The folks shoved off on holiday and, I seem to recall, didn't answer the phone on several occasions. The beam was actually taller than expected due to some c*ck-up re load bearing and the need for a stronger beam. The builder had been instructed to have a same level ceiling throughout the kitchen area. So the PBB was on to a hiding to nothing.

Point - strange how there was an offer put in (allegedly) of £10 grand above the highest estate agent valuation according to the closing spiel.

And if they weren;t working, just what was the place they were being filmed in all the time? (Looked like a design office). And I keep getting the feeling that the sums don't add up - take two years to find a place, give up jobs and seem delighted at paper profit of around £80k from which tax, legal fees etc etc have still to be deducted.

Reply to
No-one

More likley S beenies asides are recorded last.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strange that. Surely the prospects are not

The "viewers" in "House Doctor" are definitive in that respect, always confining their comments to the decor (eg. "Nice bowl of fruit in here now, that makes all the difference doesn't it ? I could ceratinly see myself making an offer now".

I like the fact these shows are basically identical every week - it is comforting - I think I might have a panic attack if someone ever took any of SB's advice.

Reply to
Ted Woodley

Ha ha ha ha. I bet you are right. Like Carole "There IS a way of doing it" Vordeman's sums on Countdown, right ?

Reply to
Ted Woodley

Definitely TV hindsight.

Oh but be grateful and rejoice for the return of Kevin (Grand Designs). His commentary is often done mid-project while standing in a pile of bricks, and he is never sarcastic. Maybe this does not make good drama?

I'm sure most of us would _not_ get on with Ms Beeny, and feel well & truly stitched up when the programme aired. Anyway when is it ever a good idea to be on TV?

Reply to
Toby

How? Seems a neat trick to be able to show SB and the neophytes standing in the original pre-development dwelling, with SB saying "put an en-suite here" and them going "no, we know better", after the fact!

Most of property ladder comments are done on-site standing on piles of bricks and dodging dripping ceilings. Have you watched recently?

Zane.

Reply to
abuse

As they were "designers", I presume that, although they had left their jobs, some freelance work from home was paying the bills.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Its a simple trick. She is doing what are known as "noddies". When only one camera and sound crew is available then the presenter will do her questions, comment and nods to camera after the interview. They get inserted in the right place in the editing room.

I'm not saying this is what happens on this programme, just explaining how it might be done.

And yes, people have been known to record various extraneous pieces of commentary for use later, if desired.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann