Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

God, didn't you just want to push that woman off the top of her unfinished roof! What was the POINT of this programme?!! I thought it was supposed to be all about making money from property by spending enough, but no more, to do up a tired or dilapidated property, then selling it. Sarah Beeney tried everything to persuade these know-it-alls to revise their plans, yet they not only didn't listen to a word she said, they treated her advice with contempt. You could observe it, most of the time, on the woman's face. And then they had the nerve to say that whether £5,000 or £50,000 profit, it was still a profit! Er, excuse me, Mr & Mrs Property Developer, but there is a £45,000 discrepancy between those two figures, duh!

And then they had to sell their own property to pay for the mismanaged extra work they thought essential - ha bloody ha! Three weeks with friends? How could anyone have stood them for three days?

This show tonight was the nadir of Property Ladder. It was not about making money from property and how to save on costs. It was about a personal tussle between the presenter and some folks who were just not prepared to listen to any advice. And we never did get to hear whether they sold it for half a million or whether, like Colin and Justin found, they are still waiting for the right idiot to come along.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Its just frustrating to watch a people lose money on what could have been a reasonable proposition. Still, its easy to say when you've "gone through the mill". First time round we all make mistakes.

Reply to
TonyK

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

It seems that all of these programmes have the same goal in mind, i.e. to make the developers look like idiots. presumably, that is what the programme makers have determined attracts viewers.

I have not seen one version of this type of programme which offers sensible considered information, subsequently put into practice.

As has been said, it would be interesting to see Sarah Beeny and the other "experts", acting as the developers, but perhaps that is not "good television"?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Yes, we do. I've made many. But these folks seemed totally unconcerned that they had spent double their original "budget". This is not good business practice. In fact, it's pants.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

To be fair, they generally are idiots, though.

Reply to
Hywel Jenkins

I thought the final minute sais they had turned down an offer for half a million and were holding out for a higher offer.

Reply to
No-one

Amateur developers are often idiots. People who do it as a living -- long term, and successfully -- tend to be a lot more rational than that.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

I would have divrced that red headed know it all bitch immediately.

In fact, I wouldn't have married her in the first place.

What a tosser.

Typical bloody art fart all confidence and no bloody sense, and completely unable to distinguish between property development and an ego statement on interior design.

I don't think it was a tussle at all. It was a wry shrug of teh shoulders as Mrs Knowitall wasted huge amounts of her husbands money and everyones time proving that people who think they are 'designers' can't run a business project.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Darwin. The suilly ones lose money and go back to being management consultants and social wurkahs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I especially liked the bit at the end...

Presenter: "Will you do it again?" Weird Woman: "Yes" Presenter: "Eh?!?!" Weird Woman: "Yes, and i'm going to be working on other people's projects too..."

I only hope these 'other people' watched her spank her husband's cash away so readily!!!

AJN

Reply to
Ash

Presumably you missed out on BBC2's 'new' version of C4's 'no going back' in which a bunch of clueless tossers decided to run a bar stroke restaurant in Portugal despite never having run a bar or restaurant anywhere before?

It was most comical, particularly the husband who just acted like a total control freak in a gale of opposition from his parents who had good advice, which was presumably just what the programme makers wanted.

I don't think it was a coincidence that he looked and acted like Chris Evans. (ex Radio 1 DJ, and let's focus on the 'ex')

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Don't the regs require the bannister rails to be something much more substantial with smaller gaps?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

None of the people that I've seen on the show seem to realise that they're not development *their* house, but are developing *someone else's* house.

Reply to
Hywel Jenkins

[...]

But this was their 3rd development in the area (see

Zane.

Reply to
abuse

But would it make good television if the amateurs said, after explaining to Sarah their plans and hearing why she thought they were pants, "You're right, let's do it your way instead"?

Actually, I think it would. And while it would put Sarah in the position of having to prove herself right (positively, as opposed to showing clips of estate agents and prospective buyers echoing her words), it wouldn't really be much of a risk, would it?

Zane.

Reply to
abuse

mismanaged

If they have no employment and therefore no income and having to stay with friends. How do they finance these weird conversions. Note they had an offer of half a million which they rejected (and pigs might fly)It seems apparant the buyer pulled out? Did they ever sell or is this programme a con?

Reply to
Peter Coddington

Do bears shit in the woods?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nadir or zenith ?

It made you watch. It caused a reaction. That might be bad property development, but it's good TV.

Who is Sarah Beeney ? Does she _do_ anything, or is she just someone on the telly ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

3rd! How on earth did they get past their 1st!

Assuming they got "better" as they went on I'd love to have seen their 1st attempt LOL

Reply to
TonyK

The first.

I watched only to see whether there would be any developments. After the first 20 minutes of Sarah trying to get Mrs Developer to listen to reason, I could see that she was fighting a hopeless battle. Then it became a mission to see said woman fail - as a warning to others, which I definitely think did come across. Although, conveniently, we did not see the final outcome of whether they actually sold at any kind of a profit or whether they suffered a loss, it was clear that as a lesson in how to develop property the programme was a dead loss.

But we don't watch a bad property development programme and say, oh, that's okay, because it's good TV!

She is a successful property developer!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell