Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Thats so true. Its really hard to give up the habits of a lifetime and realise that the 'back yard' is no longer somewhere you tip the trash and go for a crap...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, So all people are not created equal? And thick people naturally become tradesmen?

This is so Tory, its unbelievable!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Tony Bryer writes

That sounds like an architect desperately trying to avoid the truth. Surely the problem with ours was the way they were designed and built ?, not the poor sods who had to inhabit them. PS I hope you have lots of savings to pay the maintenance charges. A 25 story block is going to be fearfully expensive to repair in 25 years time. PPS Your UK pension will be frozen in value the moment you leave. PPPS I believe you will still be entitled to UK winter 'heating' allowance, daft though it seems.

Reply to
Andrew

No Tony got it right. The wrong people were put in them. People from back to back terraces. The security was a major problem being non-existent. 90% of all council blocks I went in has urine in the lifts and graffiti all over. On the Continent each block has a Concierge with emntryphone systems. In the UK upper middle class people designed these thinking the working class would adopt Middle class ways and drop to their knees thanking these people,for taking them up the class ladder. The couldn't give a toss about the upper middle class and brought in their pigeon pens and put them on the balconies.

A well built block will require no expensive structural maintenance.

Reply to
IMM

No, IMO tower blocks are not suitable for families with children aged 2+, also the ones I was familiar with had common parts open to anyone and everyone - and space that is everyone's often ends up being no one's. The Melbourne towers, in contrast, have swipe card entry and concierge at the entrance.

Always a risk, but there are 304 other people to help pay the bills and as the temperature virtually never falls to freezing a lot of problems with concrete spalling etc you get here don't arise. They also have a sinking fund for major expenses.

Yes, but that's balanced by the much lower cost of living - and I left my inflation-proofed BCO pension rights in place when I left.

No daft at all - do you know how much it costs to run the aircon in Jan and Feb?

Reply to
Tony Bryer