Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

The mistake is, to think you have to compete with the supermarkets.

Jack the prices up and point out that yes, your petrol is 5p more expensive, but how much does it cost to drive 15 miles to tank up?

Same with all teh other stuff. Our shop also does local vegetables and quite decent fruit. It even - and how they got this one worked out i don't know - does tablet salt for water softeners. Ok its 70p more than driving a 20 mile round trip...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. Brussles and the EU is there to take power away from central government.

Sadly, so far its taken away all teh stupid things instead of concentrating on the real issues.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So why did they need an HVAC and plumbing professional for this? Were you fixing the heat pumps?

Generally in networking, "flushing circuits" has a rather different meaning to the one with which you would be familiar......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed. West of the pennines it RAINS whgen east of the pennines it is just dull.

Expet when you get an easterly, then the east of england catches the snow badly :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Has it ever occurred to you that what you hear, especially from politicaisn, and what is actuyally happening and meant to be happening, are indeed to distinct and separate things?

Pity they never did a Bumper Book Of How Politicians Work.

You COULD read 'Animal Fram' or '1984' or Macchiavelli of course, but they have rather big words in them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a pseudo-city like Reading. The buses and road signs there try to have you believe that it is. As far as I was aware, that requires a royal decree and a cathedral, not a vote by a Noolabah local council exceeding its authority.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I guess you hear what you want to hear.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What constitutes a city is rather silly. The smallest city in the UK is a village, because it has a cathedral. Some towns are larger than some cities, etc. A city should be by size, and size alone. Once the size drops then it becomes a town. The Queen should have nothing to do with it. Preston was recently made a city with a population that would have fitted into the old Odsel rugby stadium.

Reply to
IMM

I'm sure would have it under your pillow.

Reply to
IMM

Andy, you are so funny. LOL.

Reply to
IMM

I prefer it to be the traditional way, and certainly not based on what a town council thinks it might like to do.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Other people having it at your expense?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Who said a town council decides? A criteria is set once you are within your are a city, once you are out, you are not. No silly Queen, town council, government, etc. The existing way is assessment is just plain silly.

Reply to
IMM

Andy, you are so funny. LOL Boiled beef and cabbage, boiled beef and cabbage,...

Reply to
IMM

It's fitting but not surprising that you used the word "legislate" five times in that post.

History shows that over-legislation either becomes ignored in which case it's pointless, or has a habit of biting back.

People are most likely to be happy when they are masters of their own lives, when they are not nannied or over-governed.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

When the planet is dying legislation it has to be. If we relied on individuals doing their own thing we will be extinct in 20 years.

Reply to
IMM

This is what Reading, and probably MK have done......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I didn't say *no* legislation, I said *over-legislation* especially when it is done for ulterior motives and political posturing.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Legislation to save energy, which equates to pollution, is a good thing.

Reply to
IMM

... or like live music, or great theatre, or restaurants from countries you'd forgotten existed ...

... and that's without heading across the Bay Bridge to Berkeley, or the GG to Marin ...

You really must have been looking in the wrong places :-)

Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler