Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Don't worry! After another 5 years of IMM's friends, Tony and Gordon, together with the Scottish Parliament, the rest of the family and the Scottish population will have gone to join them! You'll be able to live abroad and with lower taxes, just by visiting relatives! Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

It is still a "small" mountain. Towns in the Alps are built far high in more dramatic topology.

Reply to
IMM

That is not the point. Some of the brainwashed here were saying that huge tracts of the UK can't support any building, which is total nonsense. 99% of the UK can support building, jobs and economy is another matter.

Reply to
IMM

Please don't. Keep me in your killfile.

Reply to
IMM

Not much point in building houses that no-one can or will live in.

Reply to
S Viemeister

BTFOOM. I was just quoting what they said in the program.

Reply to
Huge

Once again the point was missed. Please focus.

BTW, put a village half way up Be Nevis and it would be a big hit.

Reply to
IMM

That doesn't seem to have stopped them in Berkshire !!!!!

Reply to
G&M

I'm quite focused, thank you.

With second-home owners and holiday-makers, perhaps.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Oh here comes that meteorite ..... splat, yippee.

Reply to
Andrew

IIRC, she stated she/they wanted to retire to Greece (with enough money from property developing to have the luxury lifestyle)

Reply to
No-one

In article , PoP writes

You could do that in the West Sussex village where I live. It has three pubs, a co-op mini-store, cafe/restaurant, 2 garden centres, butcher, pet shop, a small Sainsbury metro store, post-office, (a small tesco and primary care centre in the near future) Travis-perkins BM, 50 miles from London, 12 to Worthing, RSPB nature reserve nearby on what was a useless, Grade 3 (=rubbish land) arable/beef farm, Main line station from Bognor to London (1hr 10mins).

Unfortunately being in commuter land houses are expensive. Small 3 bed semi £200,000 and anything that has any character is a second home. You'll need £300,000+ for anything decent. Meanwhile there is Grade 3 'agricultural' land all around going to waste.

Reply to
Andrew

In article , Tony Williams writes

We have one, but for how long is an unknown quantity

Reply to
Andrew

You may be, but on the point in question.

Doesn't make any difference. It will be a hit.

Reply to
IMM

Well that mean 100% of the land in the Uk can house buildings.

Reply to
IMM

In article , Capitol writes

MP's have decided that they need an allowance of £14,000 (in addition to their 47% pay rise right after the last election), so they can afford to run a house in London and their constituency. No doubt Diane Abbott is the strongest supporter.

If Phoney Liar really believes in the wired-up society then close the houses of parliament and send MPs home to their constits, where they can use video conferencing instead. Maybe BT would then give adsl to those parts of the UK still without it.

Reply to
Andrew

Weaseling again.The whole issueis there is nop point in releasing huge tracts of land for building if no one wants to build there.

If you had ever stuided geography this confusion woukld not arise. Once again we have to allow for the educational deficiencies of the Bumper Book of How Things Work, which obviously features combi boilers, not economic geography.

People live where there are resources to live on, or off. If those resources come at too high a price in human time to exploit, then those areas die as far as human populations goes. Which is why sod all people live in greenland, or the Sahara, for a small example.

There isn't enough of what people need, to attract them.

Ther is howver lots of land not owned by rich people out there, so obviously the whole of Nu Laber can bugger off to the sahara and stop whingeing about UK house prices. Not much central heating needed either.

Huge tracts of the pennines, the dales, the scottish and welsh mountains,

as well as the uplands in the west country, ireland, and teh scottish lisalnds,

the flood plains of the rivers, the marshes and bogs elsewhere are at best marginbal

land for building on.

Noty because one couldn't, but the cost of laying in services, prioecting against unstable conditions, and so on would render the final price above what people would be prepared to pay to *live in that spot*.

Not too long ago a friend of mine who works partly at home and partly in Bristol, bought a very reasonable terraced house in aan old mining village in south wales. I think he paid £15,000 for it.

Ther are empty houses all over the place un the north and west, going for a few grand.

There is no housing shortage. What there is is a complete disparity between where the houses are and where the people want to be.

More an more youngsters are in fact settling in si=outh Wales, somply because they can afforsd to, and the area is having money pumped into it, and is a very nice up and comingf part of teh world - I was pleasantly suprised, compared with when I used to stay there in the 50's and 60's at how much cleaner and more prosperous it is, since the pits went.

You don't have to legislate: Peole are abandoning London and the south east because they cannot afford to live and work there. Companies are abandoning it because the wages they need to pay to have staff of any caliber turn up are twice what they might pay in e.g. Cardiff.

It all works out in teh end.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Great idea. Let's put in a McDonalds and a launderette as well......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's what town have don't they! What do you want a town with facilities?

Reply to
IMM

Well ... each to their own ... I guess our ideas of night's out probably wouldn't match very often ;o)

al