channel scanning mysteries.

channel scanning mysteries. Have you ever heard about something like this?

I had to rescan the available over the air channels on a tv a few months ago, for some reason I forget, and one of my favorite channels was missing. 54.2. AntennaTV, I think it was. Channel 54 in Baltimore is WNUV.

I was recording only two shows and one was on that channel and when the DVDR tried to go to 54.2, it seemed it went to 54.3 instead.

I rescanned 2 or 3 times over a period of weeks, and nothing changed, and I also examined it. The next lower channel was 45.4 and when I'd press Channel Up from there, it went straight to 54.3, then 54.4, then

67.1.

Finally I clicked Up from there and it went to 54.1, then Up made it flash 67.1 in the channel number section of the screen, but immediately it went to 54.11. I didn't even know that existed (and apparently it doens't but it was showing a television show). Going up one more notch also flashed 67.1 and then went to 54.2. So I can still get it, but the DVDR can't get it if I'm not around to go in the right order.

I called the station once and left a message for the engineering department, but they didn't call back.

Have you ever heard of something like this before?

Reply to
micky

The actual channel they broadcast on has little to do with the channel number reported. On my TiVo I can go look at the actual channel info but it is just gee whiz info. Your tuner still reports the advertised channel number not the physical channel they are on. This ain't your daddy's 1946 DuMont. Are you rescanning the TV or the DVR? Can you manually add the channel you want? What is the signal strength? Sometimes when they do a repack it takes a while for all of that stuff to settle down and I am not really sure why.

Reply to
gfretwell

Long shot:

If my Cable Box guide is set to All Channels, it moves "up & down" by channel number. If it's set to Networks A-Z, it moves "up & down" in a seemingly random number sequence, but it's actually moving "up & down" in alphabetical order. Watching the numbers on the box display would be really confusing to anyone that didn't know that it depends on how the guide is set. e.g. 545, 113, 206, 21, 1001, etc.

Could there be an option other than "sequential search" that changes the path that your "up & down" buttons follow?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On my Comcast DVR, if I have the cable box guide set to display only "favorite channels" and I want to record a channel I can receive but is not on the "favorite" list, the interface will leave me with the impression that the program will be recorded (the message "recording set" is displayed on the screen). However, after the date/time scheduled, the recording will not be there. In order to record a program on that channel, I need to add the channel to the "favorites" list. I learned that lesson the hard way (better half wasted no time telling me that she assumed I knew what I was doing). As far as rescanning is concerned, channels occasionally change their broadcast frequency. I recently had to rescan my over-the-air tv to restore receiving channel 32 in D.C. It used to come in without any problem and then suddenly wasn't there. A quick search on the web disclosed that they had recently changed their broadcast frequency to enable "NextGen TV" and viewers were instructed to rescan to restore reception.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

That could account for it, except, No, it only has one sequence.

I wish this had a favorites list. I can't even delete, say 13.2 if I want to keep 13.1. It's all the subchannels of channel 13 or none of them.

It's a Philips nnnnH, some number I can't remember.

It's important to let you know that. It shows she trusts your competence!

That's why I tried 3 times, when I t hought 54.1 and 2 were missing, but now

I guess there is some good reason they don't seem to display sequentially, and the DVDR wasn't designed to allow for it. I woudln't mind going in a confused order, but I can not now record from 54.1 or 2 when I'm not there to set the channel. No more People's Court for me. :-(

Reply to
micky

I paid more attention and 54.11 was playing the same program that 54.1 was, but the channel number that appeared for a couple seconds in the upper right corner was 54.11, and when you clicked on Program Info to get a description of what was on, it said 54.11 there too. :-)

Reply to
micky