Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How to tackle palm seeds in the yard (2023 Update)
First yr in this house, 3 large palms dropped 20 million seeds all over the yard! Had trees trimmed...more seeds dropped. What is the best way to get them out of the grass?...a rake & shop vac is...
1
1

sears push lawn mower question -
I can start lawn mower and begin to cut the grass with a grass catcher. When full the mower is shut off while I empty catcher. When I try to start mower again it won't start .It has to cool down...
4
4

Gas Powered Push Mower ISSUE
Hi, Last year, I bought a new gas powered push mower. A major problem I have with this mower, that I NEVER had with my old mower (gave it away), the grass clippings, especially the very fine parts...
5
5

Pure Diesel Fuel used as Weed Killer by Landscaping Company
Flowerbeds recently sprayed with pure diesel fuel for weeds. Smell permeated my home and made me *extremely * ill within hours, for about 24 hours. Should it have been diluted to a degree, or is it...
1
1

[SM] the healing power of gardens
From the «moreso if it's pot» department: Title: Oliver Sacks: The Healing Power of Gardens Author: OLIVER SACKS Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 09:44:52 -0400 Link: Podcast Download URL: Even for people who...

planting something to hid gap in Norway spruce
A new neighbor had accidentally removed a shrub of mine near my large Norway spruce. Since bottom branches of spruce are broken off in that area a large gap appears. Wonder what to plant to fill the...
10
10

Crabgrass pre-emergent timing model for US
It's about that time of year to put down crabgrass control if you need to do it. I've seen this discussed here once in a while, but not in a long time. Here's a timing model that uses temperatures in...

What kind of pine tree do I have?
Before Christmas, Walmart was closing out some live pine trees, with decorations included. I bought one and it's been growing well in the house. It needs a bigger pot, the roots are coming out of the...
4
4

What is this dark orange power dust/dirt found under piles of leaves and needles?
from a blurry iPhone 4S. There was a small overnight rain storm a few days ago too in a So(uthern) CA(lifornia). This was in a rural backyard. http://i.imgur.com/GKiMRAL.jpg
4
4

Solving uneven grass growth for a smooth lawn (2023 Update)
Greetings! Two years ago I laid down Celebration Bermuda in my lawn. It is healthy and green for the most part but it grows very unevenly. It looks very "lumpy" . I mow twice a week to keep the faster...
1
1

Lawn Seeding up Advice
Hi, New to the forum and looking for some assistance with lawn care. I have a front and back lawn that I need to treat roughly twice a year for weeds and to fertilize. I generally use evergreen 4 in 1...
1
1

Tree stump
How can I flatten a palm tree stump to ground level? We cut it with a chain saw but the stump protrudes above the ground by 6 to 8 inches
4
4

Lawn watering and cutting advice (2023 Update)
I have a garden that runs east-west and the house creates shade. from around 0930-1200 it goes from full shade to fully covered in sun. then for the next 5 hours stays like that and then the sun goes...
1
1

Germinating Grass
I know I left it a bit late but have patched my lawn with grass seed/peat. It's quite sunny but it we only get direct sunlight for around 6 hours a day (if that) so my question is how often should I...
2
2

Lawn sprinklers
Hi New to this forum. Can anyone tell me how many sprinkles I could run of one hose that is connected to my house mains pressure. Was looking at pulsating sprinklers. Thanks Andy.
1
1