Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Solving the Mystery of Blackened Lawn After All-in-One Treatment (2023 Update)
I have just applied Westland Aftercut all in one to my lawn (spread evenly!) because there was moss (almost like mini cactus's on close inspection), mushrooms and weeds etc growing on it. Now it does...
1
1

Lawn Advice
Hi all, Recently moved into a house in a nice little village outside Basingstoke. One of the reasons we bought the house was because it has a nice big garden. The house was built in the 50's, and...
4
4

Lawn laid in December, new build
Hello, I am after a little advise. I have a new build and the lawn has been laid prior to move in. As we all probably know. The lawn had been laid on top of rocky top soil. Some are the size of my...
2
2

new weed bothering us
Weed invading banks in back of house. This one crowding out vinca minor. About yard long, budding, stickers around leaves. Pulls easily with long thin root. Put through Google images and it says wood...

turing tomato plants
This is the first time I have tried growing tomatoes from seeds. They are growing fine. Maybe too early for some, but I am going to put them in large pots and near a garage window as soon as the...

Lawn tractor thoughts, should i stop it.
HI all, First post here so hope its in the right place and the right content. Basically i have a snapper elt140h33abv ride on lawn tractor (14HP front engine) that is in good condition, but i am...
1
1

Fall Yard Treatment
Greeting fellow garden fans, What's the best type of grass seed and method to get some grass on this section of the yard? I've got a 300 sq ft section of yard that is partially under a pine tree and...
1
1

snapper rear engine mower series 23
I cannot turn off a series 23 rear engine mower. I have replaced the switch but when I turn the key off the mower continues to run,when you get off the seat the mower ideas Billy

Coopers Hawk
I see these small Coopers hawks flying over here in So Calif quite often, especially this time of the year. This one's not that clear because of the distance.

Fungus or disease on mountain ash
What is it? I searched some but couldn't find any photos close up enough to match it. It's on a short stub where I had cut off a small branch a few weeks ago. Should I spray, if anything? I don't see...

More bugs
These rascals were on a flower crawling around -- don't know the name of this plant. Only saw them on one stalk. Any ideas what they might be, and how to treat the plants? Close up View of entire...

Christmas tree mulch
One of the local tree lots mulched the left overs and left them for anyone to pick up. I brought home few five-gallon buckets. I didn't see the trees, but most likely fir and cedar from the smell. The...
4
4

backyard swing project
I have two big trees in my backyard that happen to be about 5 feet apart. I wanted to rig up about an 8' high swing between these two trees using a 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" horizontal beam (in a vertical...
13
13

Attempting to break in house
Little canary looking guy has been trying to fly in a slider window. Keeps at it - flying into and pecking at glass. Others have had problem but did not name the bird. Could not find in bird book and...

Like Preen, but for lawns?
Is there a commercial product that can be applied to lawns that prevents seeds from germinating, as Preen claims it does for gardens? I'm mainly interested in stopping the maple and ash tree seeds...
1
1