Diesel Fuel as weed killer?

I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the driveway to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?
Thanks to all posts.
rogerfisher wrote:

Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act as a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from the area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly some vegetation you don't want killed.
Lar

driveway
indeed, stupid idea to use diesel to kill plants. Far safer ways to do it without need to poisoning your soil. Diesel was used to mark lines on playing fields and running tracks when I was at school. Better used in a motor than on soil.
rob

" Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and > slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the > road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act as > a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from the > area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly some > vegetation you don't want killed".
> Lar
Ah, the good old days!!!!! I remember when dad would change the oil in the car, he'd take the used oil, dump it into the middle of the yard, pour about a half gallon of old gas on it, let it sit for about ten minutes(so it soaked into the ground real good), then light it.
The fire would burn with nice black smoke that the entire neighborhood could see!!! Sometimes that fire would burn for half an hour or so! (that was after they told him he had to stop dumping it down the storm drain).
Mich...

Also, why would anyone use diesel, which is around $3 a gallon, when there are other products desgned for the job that cost a fraction of that?
On May 1, 1:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

HEY! Diesel at $3.00 per gallon. Sh**** Its near to 5.00 here in UK ($10.00) No wonder you Americans are sooooo rich. :-) Regards Data
replying to Data, Freethedumb wrote: Hey there my British brother. It isn't the cost of diesel that contributes to our "rich" culture, IT IS (at least for a while) a less oppressive government. You do recall the tea party; right?
replying to Freethedumb, paraplegic wrote: I do, and I also remember the 2nd ammendment, probably put in place, for when we british came back, now it's holy writ, but your right about your governance.
replying to trader4, Theresa Ash Walters wrote: It's a 50 by 10 area . Overgrown for years. I really haven't check others prices . Not sure I can good products , price wise.
replying to trader4, Kyle wrote: What product is a fraction of 3$ a gallon? Name one?
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:14:03 PM UTC-4, Kyle wrote:

Glyphosate (roundup). It's 25 cents a gallon when mixed if you buy the concentrate online or at a farm supply in just 2.5 gallon size. That's what I use. You don't think farmers are spraying 500 acres at over $3 a gallon, do you?
replying to trader4, Ward wrote: I have used roundup 3x and the weeds just keep looking more lush! Going for the diesel fuel this time.
replying to Ward, Rosza Thorns wrote: Me too
replying to trader4, Daniel M. Buhr wrote: roundup is no better than deisel for the enviroment
And the scientific evidence and proof for that is?
replying to trader4, Simplesimon wrote: Round causes cancer, look it up.
On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 9:44:02 PM UTC-4, Simplesimon wrote:

Yeah, some lawyers got a couple of juries to buy that, opening the floodgates. Now shyster lawyers are running infomercials on TV to get more people to pile on. The vast majority of studies have shown no link. Most compelling to me is that if Roundup is causing lymphoma, why hasn't the incidence of that particular cancer skyrocketed over the last 40 years? Glyphosate went from not being used to widely used, yet there was no corresponding increase in the cancer rate. And in the big study across a couple of states, following farmers and their families, who used not only Roundup but all kinds of other chemicals, they had elevated rates of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, or any other cancer.
Those cases were laughable. A janitor at a school claims he wound up drenched in it. You'd have to be a grade A moron for that to happen. Also, if it happened once, then put on protective covering. I've used it many times over decades, rarely got anything on me. I take care when using any kind of chemical like that. I suspect those people did too, but now they say they were covered in it all the time. How many freaking weeds does a school have?
On 7/30/2019 7:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Something we agree on. The studies that show the incidence are epidemiological studies and if anyone has seen such studies they will see the tremendous amount of static involved.
Roundup is still deemed safe and approved by the EPA.
Most of the legal ads on TV and the radio are done by lawyers known as ambulance chasers in the past. A jury's finding is not a scientific one.
replying to trader4, John845 wrote: There are very few things as dangerous or misunderstood as glyphosate (Roundup). Worse than diesel for sure.
It doesn't degrade and persists in the environment and poisons our water and food sources. It even stays in the grains that a cow eats and stays in it's manure after digestion to then seep into the soil for further issues.
Do an internet search to see what I mean (former senior dept of agriculture people have devoted their lives to stopping it and the companies that make it (Monsanto which is now Bayer).
On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 1:14:04 PM UTC-4, John845 wrote:

Been there, done that. You're just listening to extremist nuts, that look at very selective data and ignore all the overwhelming data that shows roundup is safe. The same extremists that would have us living in caves, starving.