Diesel Fuel as weed killer?

indeed, stupid idea to use diesel to kill plants. Far safer ways to do it without need to poisoning your soil. Diesel was used to mark lines on playing fields and running tracks when I was at school. Better used in a motor than on soil.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the driveway to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

Reply to
rogerfisher

Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act as a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from the area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly some vegetation you don't want killed.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

" Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and > slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the > road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act as > a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from the > area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly some > vegetation you don't want killed".

Ah, the good old days!!!!! I remember when dad would change the oil in the car, he'd take the used oil, dump it into the middle of the yard, pour about a half gallon of old gas on it, let it sit for about ten minutes(so it soaked into the ground real good), then light it.

The fire would burn with nice black smoke that the entire neighborhood could see!!! Sometimes that fire would burn for half an hour or so! (that was after they told him he had to stop dumping it down the storm drain).

Mich...

Reply to
Mich...

Also, why would anyone use diesel, which is around $3 a gallon, when there are other products desgned for the job that cost a fraction of that?

Reply to
trader4

Bad for the aquafir aquafur aquafer,,,,water table too! :-Dean

Reply to
Dean

That last activity seems to be just as popular as ever!

BTH

Reply to
BT Humble

Probably is. The 5-10cent redemption just changes the appearance,the evidence gets cleaned up! Booze cruisin the backroads was/is very popular in rural areas where there are'nt many options for entertainment.

Reply to
Dean

Totally irrelevant. Totally benign.

Otherwise, how could be justify putting millions/billions of pounds of salt on roads each winter.

Reply to
ecarecar

good point

Mich...

Reply to
Mich...

Dunno,,maybe the trade-off of lives saved and getting to work due to better traction is worth the risk. No wonder it's being said that "water is the new oil"..lol. Double meaning? I'm no "green machine" I just remember when I was thinking of using old gas n oil to treat instead of weedeat and My neighbor gave Me a speech about the well water.Maybe it sunk in. Dean

Reply to
Dean

HEY! Diesel at $3.00 per gallon. Sh**** Its near to =A35.00 here in UK ($10.00) No wonder you Americans are sooooo rich. :-) Regards Data

Reply to
Data

Better to use clorox

Reply to
GeWart

I recently read that vinegar can be used on weeds. Bought 3 gallons, put it in a sprayer, and the weeds (dandelions) turned dead & yellow within 48 hours. Amazing, and even safer (if you drank it) than bleach or diesel fuel. It's a contact killer, though, so it will also take out any grass it touches, to a lesser extent.

However, the notion that the spot use of diesel for weeds is a horrible environmental pollutant reminded me of this:

Reply to
Darryl

Diesel fuel is an excellent weed killer. Try mixing it 50 / 50 with used motor oil from your car, & it will kill any pesky weeds, & keep them dead. The people who like to claim how they have gone "green", & are crying about how it is harmful to the environment, are the very same people who are driving around in behemoth SUV's that get 12 mpg.

Reply to
I am more enviromentally consc

replying to rogerfisher, Theresa Ash Walters wrote: Yes . Weeds around riverbank, or in my case piece of land just cleared. Big sprayer mix half diesel /water .

Reply to
Theresa Ash Walters

replying to trader4, Theresa Ash Walters wrote: It's a 50 by 10 area . Overgrown for years. I really haven't check others prices . Not sure I can good products , price wise.

Reply to
Theresa Ash Walters

replying to Darryl, Theresa Ash Walters wrote: No I use weed & feed on my yard. Thinking the 50/10 area that use to be an overgrown thicket might need something stronger.

Reply to
Theresa Ash Walters

replying to rogerfisher, Doc wrote: Absolutely. If you put it on heavy enough after the second application (6 months apart) you may be able to go for a full year with little or no regrowth. Now remember. Gravel drives can catch seeds blown in from anywhere. So there is a possibility that something will blow in and try to root but the soil will not let it get a hold and will die or be kicked out of the ground with little trouble. Fence lines and fence posts once heavily treated did not grow back for

3 years at my place.
Reply to
Doc

replying to trader4, Kyle wrote: What product is a fraction of 3$ a gallon? Name one?

Reply to
Kyle