Diesel Fuel as weed killer?

replying to bobbie, Joseph Vigil wrote: Yes use .5 gallons of diesel per 5 gallons of water funny No will answer the question truthfully

Reply to
Joseph Vigil

replying to rogerfisher, onyx wrote: Think of all the bugs you will kill in this way. if the bugs die we will eventually die. Diesel will hang around in the soil for ages and isn't ecological.

Reply to
onyx

replying to Mich..., EPA sucks wrote: Don?t waste perfectly good burn motor oil by burning it pour it out around the base of out building no weeds termites orrotten wood. Also apply liberally in dog pens for flea and tick control as well as weed control also it helps with mange. Utility trailers with wooden decks apply burnt motor oil liberally the wood won?t rot. It u drive in corrosive environments road salt beach thin down this magical liquid with diesel fuel and coat the underside of your vehicle yearly especially the frame. Please don?t waste this magic potion by burning it

Reply to
EPA sucks

replying to onyx, Derek wrote: Sounds like diesel will take care of my bug problem and weed problem at the same time. Thanks. I will post to let you know how it works.

Reply to
Derek

Great idea for weeds. Use diesel that costs $3.25 a gallon instead of glyphosate that cost 25 cents a gallon. Plus the diesel stinks and it would be funny if a neighbor smelled it and called the EPA.

Reply to
trader4

replying to I chose to respect, OldAndPragmatic wrote: I thought it was great! I choose humor.

Reply to
OldAndPragmatic

replying to trader4, Ralph Moore wrote: It has been said that long time exposure to Roundup can cause cancer in some susceptible individuals.

Reply to
Ralph Moore

You're supposed to spray it on weeds, not on yourself. From what I can gather, there are many studies that have been done that show no correlation. And maybe one that showed a possible correlation to one type of cancer. From that, it was off to the races with the ambulance chasing lawyers. Their first big victory was in CA, where a school janitor blamed his cancer on using Roundup to control weeds at the school. How dumb do you have to be to get any significant amount of Roundup on you spraying weeds at a school. He claimed he was drenched with it sometimes. If I was doing a lot of it and regularly, I'd put on a tyvek jumpsuit if I saw any of it was getting on me. Oh, and one of the studies that didn't show any connection was one that tracked farmers and their families in I think it was NC/SC area for over a decade. They found no elevated cancer of the type the other study implicated, overall the farmers were healthier than the overall population. I use it and will continue to do so, but then I'm responsible and not stupid enough to wallow in it either. I'd bet few of those suing even get it on them much either. It's get sick, sue, because you can. The TV late nights has ads now, recruiting more people to sue.

Reply to
trader4

replying to trader4, Jay Wadsworth wrote: Would you advise or recommend a bit of diesel in a glyphosate mix for greater effectiveness on resistant varieties and as a surfactant for better adhesion?

Reply to
Jay Wadsworth

Oil and water don't mix. You'd be spraying glyphosate for 99% of the time, glyphosate and oil the last little bit. Roundup and many other glyphosate have a surfactant in them. I'm using Imitator, it has it. So, first I'd check what you're using. If it doesn't have a surfactant, and you want to add some, you can buy it. Or if some weeds are resistant, just increase the concentration. I mix it at 4% and it seems to kill everything I use it on here. Some people say a few drops of dishwashing liquid soap works as a surfactant too, IDK, haven't tried it.

Reply to
trader4

replying to Ward, Rosza Thorns wrote: Me too

Reply to
Rosza Thorns

replying to trader4, Simplesimon wrote: Round causes cancer, look it up.

Reply to
Simplesimon

Yeah, some lawyers got a couple of juries to buy that, opening the floodgates. Now shyster lawyers are running infomercials on TV to get more people to pile on. The vast majority of studies have shown no link. Most compelling to me is that if Roundup is causing lymphoma, why hasn't the incidence of that particular cancer skyrocketed over the last 40 years? Glyphosate went from not being used to widely used, yet there was no corresponding increase in the cancer rate. And in the big study across a couple of states, following farmers and their families, who used not only Roundup but all kinds of other chemicals, they had elevated rates of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, or any other cancer.

Those cases were laughable. A janitor at a school claims he wound up drenched in it. You'd have to be a grade A moron for that to happen. Also, if it happened once, then put on protective covering. I've used it many times over decades, rarely got anything on me. I take care when using any kind of chemical like that. I suspect those people did too, but now they say they were covered in it all the time. How many freaking weeds does a school have?

Reply to
trader4

Something we agree on. The studies that show the incidence are epidemiological studies and if anyone has seen such studies they will see the tremendous amount of static involved.

Roundup is still deemed safe and approved by the EPA.

Most of the legal ads on TV and the radio are done by lawyers known as ambulance chasers in the past. A jury's finding is not a scientific one.

Reply to
Frank

replying to trader4, Buzzos Lawns wrote: Some golf courses use diesel fuel to mark and lubricate old style irrigation snap valves. Usually once a year is all that is required.

Reply to
Buzzos Lawns

replying to trader4, Da Dog wrote: What a bunch a whiners, Shoot diesel on the s**te an been done!

Reply to
Da Dog

replying to Data, Marine308 wrote: It's only $1.99 now in SW USA, thanks to the Wuhan Flu ;) I have 3 trucks that burn about 25gals a week, and we just went off the winter blend, so I'm getting

1.5mpg more now. My monthly bill is about half it was just lat month.

But as far as using to keep weeds under control, this may be better than herbicides for my need; a gravel yard to park my trucks & trailers. So far noting seems to keep the weeds from coming back. Might try Diesel in a small area to see how it compares.

Reply to
Marine308

replying to Frank, Josh02 wrote: The problem with Glysophate, It gets in your stomach and lives in your gut. It kills all the good flora in your gut. It?s not a natural product at some point Your body will have to detox it and it is extremely hard to get it out of your body. There is a test you can do to see the levels in your gut and a person would be surprised to the amount of the toxic chemical they are carrying around.

Reply to
Josh02

replying to trader4, Scott Thomas wrote: Recent Cancer epidemic is enough for me not to use it.

Reply to
Scott Thomas

Not the right place to be asking. Contact your county extension office to see what they advise. You'll get more grown-up advice info there.

Reply to
Andrew D