Thread on Cub Cadet tractor blade bolt---standard or reverse?

Is the thread on the bolts that holds the mower blades on a Cub Cadet tractor standard or reverse? Details: Cub Cadet 1330 with 38" mower deck (two blades)

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Ben

I've not worked on a CC, but the 3 or 4 other brands I have worked on have always had standard (RH) bolts. Blades always seem to have a secondary way to prevent blade torque from loosening the blade, such as pins or a star-shaped shaft, or a flat recess for the blade, so the bolt is not constantly resisting the turning force. Nevertheless, I usually use a non-permanent thread locking compound (locktite) when reassembling, and torque to specs.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Agree w/ other poster -- virtual certainty they're RH thread.

If this is follow-up to the post of hard to break loose, use a block to wedge in between the blade tip and the deck to hold the blade and get a good 1/2" or larger socket set and breakover handle to get the torque needed. If need it, add a cheater.

If that doesn't work easily, borrow/rent an impact wrench. The hand, hammer-actuated type are a little clumsy but can be effective. The final recourse is heat, but would be unlikely to need it.

Reply to
dpb

I work on lots of different tractors. I honk up the front end and hit the blade bolts with an electric impact. Zips 'em right off.

All I've come across are r/h thread.

Going back, I just snug 'em up, as normal rotation tends to tighten 'em even more.

Reply to
rb

And never, ever, under any circumstances apply a lube such as 5-56 or wd40 or even oil to the threads. This will cause the blade nuts to over torque from the spin. Always torque dry blade nuts to manufacturers specs and you will have no trouble removing them.

Reply to
wicked

Blade bolts always tighten in the direction of rotation. It doesn't take any torking at all. Just barely snug them with a wrench and they'll tighten themselves. Unless they are the splined type of blade that is. And not putting anti-seize on blade bolts is just stupid. They can seize in there something fierce if you don't.

Reply to
Steve Barker

replying to Paul Franklin, Martin wrote: Hi just removed them R/H thread

Reply to
Martin