Oil drain on tractor stripped

My old Cub Cadet Tractor, which I bought in 1985 used, has a stripped oil drain plug. After many oil changes, the hole just wore out. Is there any type of fix, like a oversize ,self threading bolt out there? Any help would be be appreaciated. Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

how about a rubber plug that you tighten the bolt on the end and it expands.. that way it will not leak....try around at different auto parts stores they should have them or be able to tell you where to get one...

Reply to
jim

Andy,

Take the drain plug to an auto parts store and ask for the proper size heli-coil. Get advice on how to install it. A heli-coil is a spring-like coil intended for such stripped out holes. I'm not sure if heli-coil is a brand name but any machine shop or auto parts place will know what you're talking about.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

If this is a stamped steel pan, the threaded part will be too short to effectively accept a HeliCoil. Rubber expanding plugs are a disaster waiting to happen as the hot oil often hardens the rubber and the vibration does the rest.

Simply buy a new oil pan and install it. This can't be a big ticket item, and the replacement can be done by anyone capable of changing a spark plug. The damage was casused by some idiot overtightening or cross threading the drain plug to begin with. Dealerships have flat rate books to quote you labor cost for the fix, so that could help you judge whether you want to tackle it. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Pull the pan and have one of these braised on, or another type of valve.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Don Young

go learn something on small engine a heli coil will work. The oil drain hole is not as thin as it is on cars drain pan. I would try and re tap it to the next size up with a new drain plug. any hardware store with pipe stock should have a the next size plug in stock and the pipe tap to do it with.

Reply to
DR, Bob

well at least your answer is better then Joe BOBst but most drain hole are part fo the bock in small engines. screw up the brasing and your in for a new engine or short block.

Reply to
DR, Bob

I would go with a helicoil if you have enough metal there to get it to work then install one of the valve type drain plug replacement to avoid wear and tear on the replacement you could even try some JB weld to just glue a replacement drain plug in place!

There are also oversize plugs made for such situations!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Cheaper, easier, and just as good would be to go and get a new plug that is a little larger size than the original, and a tap. Take the tap and rethread the hole in the oilpan... install new plug...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton