sears push lawn mower question -

I can start lawn mower and begin to cut the grass with a grass catcher. When full the mower is shut off while I empty catcher. When I try to start mower again it won't start .It has to cool down before it will start again. This happens everytime. Any idea?

Reply to
Bob Hall

How are you trying to start it? If you're fiddling with the primer and/or choke when it's hot that could be an issue. Should just try to start it without that. If that's not the issue, I'd start with the simple stuff, make sure air filter is clean, put a new plug in if the existing one is old. Sometimes an ignition coil going bad gets weak as it gets hotter. With the engine running, might be enough spark there to keep it going, but no enough to re-start it. I'd check for spark at the plug when it won't start.

Reply to
trader4

replying to trader4, Bob Hall wrote: I use pull rope to start. Air cleaner is good. Spark plug new. Will check for spark the next time. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob Hall

replying to Bob Hall, Bob Hall wrote: I use a pull rope to start the mower. Spark is new and air cleaner is clean. I will check for spark. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob Hall

To check it for spark, take the plug out, reconnect it to the wire and use a jumper wire to ground the metal of the plug to the engine. It can be hard to see the spark, doing it in a darkened garage makes it easy to see.

Reply to
trader4