Germinating Grass

I know I left it a bit late but have patched my lawn with grass seed/peat. It's quite sunny but it we only get direct sunlight for around 6 hours a day (if that) so my question is how often should I water. Was thinking of every other day but don't want to over water.

Also, should I put down grass food during germination?

Reply to
funkytwig

If it is very hot, you can water it 2 or 3 times a day. The seed is only a very small distance under the dirt so the top layer will dry in a very short time.

You should have a thin layer of straw on it to help keep it moist.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

wait until cooler temperatures for best results. seeding grass in the spring/early summer is a very tough time because it is hard to keep it consistently moist and there are a lot of weed seeds sprouting which will give the grass a lot of competition.

no. don't fertilize plants until they are actively growing. and, well, most of what you put on grass ends up running off so better to let the rain bring the fertilizer for you.

mulching mower, set it as high as it will go and still look ok for you. mow regularly. feed the worms and the worms will feed the grass.

songbird

Reply to
songbird