1/3 grass cutting rule <?>

If my grass is at 6 inches high, and I cut it down to 4 inches (using the 1/3 rule)... ..how long do I have to wait before removing another 1/3???

In other words, can I remove a third, and then turn around and cut another third? Should I wait 24 hours before the second cut? ...48 hours?

My lawn tractor is in the shop and my grass is getting tall. I want to over-seed the lawn this Fall, but I need to cut the grass down to about

2 inches before sow the seed.

Thank you very much! Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

Good question. I don't think I've ever heard that discussed before - but then I ignore the rule anyway. Admittedly I don't have a "manicured" lawn - but the grass keeps growing with minimal maintenance.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Just cut the grass down to the height you want it. The 1/3 rule is a guide to go by but once you're out of shape it won't help to cut it back in two stages.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Thanks, but I think I'll be cutting it in two or three stages anyway. The first cut I'll be towing the de-thatcher. The second cut I'll be towing the aerator; with a 24 hour period between cuts. Thanks, David --------------------------------------------

Just cut the grass down to the height you want it. The 1/3 rule is a guide to go by but once you're out of shape it won't help to cut it back in two stages. Peter H

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

HA! You're going to de-thatch grass that is 6 inches tall?

Reply to
Steveo

HA! You're going to de-thatch grass that is 6 inches tall? -------------------------------------------------- Thanks SteveO!!! I didn't really think of that! I guess de-thatching first would rip to grass out by the roots, right?

Any suggestions on how to go about this project?

Thanks, Dave

P.S. I really don't have a problem with thatch. I use the de-thatcher to pull-up the Wire Grass (Crabgrass) before I cut.

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

I'd just try to get it cut down to a workable height first.

Good luck. :)

Reply to
Steveo

I just measured my grass (yeah, I'm that picky)... it's about 9 to 9 1/2 tall, with the tallest blade at about a foot.

I should be getting my lawn tractor back tomorrow. It has a maximum cutting height of 6 inches. I'll cut the lawn at maximum height (6") on Saturday and then whittle it down to size on Sunday. I won't be sowing the seed anytime soon because the weather looks like t's going to be dry... that is, unless we don't get hit with another hurricane here in Va.

Thank you! Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey