What is this dark orange power dust/dirt found under piles of leaves and needles?

http://i.imgur.com/GKiMRAL.jpg from a blurry iPhone 4S. There was a small overnight rain storm a few days ago too in a So(uthern) CA(lifornia). This was in a rural backyard.
--
"The little ant at its hole is full of courage." --African
On 11/23/18 6:28 PM, Ant wrote:

Fungus among us....or perhaps bacteria
On 11/23/2018 11:41 PM, azigni wrote:

Today's shots: https://postimg.cc/gallery/ldh8btv2/
I noticed removing the orange powder and digging shallow reveal the normal brown soil. it seems to only exist above the ground.
A Redditor says it might be rust since it matches since the orange is like dust. Also digging under it revealed regular dark brown soil like you see around spot.
--
"We may have no malevolent intentions toward an ant heap, but if we want
to build a house on the same site..." --Rendezvous With Rama
On 11/23/2018 5:28 PM, Ant wrote:

Were you near the Woolsey fire? If so, that could be Phos-Chek that had been dropped as a fire retardant. The rain would have rinsed it off the foliage in your garden.
If it is indeed Phos-Chek, relax. As it breaks down, it becomes fertilizer.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/
On 11/24/2018 8:21 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

Nope.
--
"Many ants kill a camel." --Turkish