What is making these holes in the front lawn overnight that happen often?

https://i.imgur.com/GUHwN5A.jpg from a local rural So(uthern) CA(lifornia) house. Gophers? Deers? Dogs? Squirrels? I doubt it is the ants even though there are Red Imported Fire and Argentine ants' mounds.
The next door neighbors' lawns don't even have this problem. What is missing and how to stop these dig ups? :(
Thank you in advance. :)
--
"They are like the ant... They start one way and turn around and go the
other way... They look all the time at the ground and never see the

Might be skunks. They can scrape up chunks of law looking for grubs.
https://www.spring-green.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/skunk-damage-to-a-lawn.jpg
On 10/29/2017 3:42 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

I guess that the skunks out west might have different habits than the ones from around here -- ours tend to dig single holes and most are nearly conical and a few inches deep. The photo seems, to me at least, to show long distributions of the sod. This would suggest something burrowing. Hard to tell since the picture is at a bad angle. Taking a long sharp knife to the sod between two humps would probably reveal something or other...
On 10/29/2017 5:18 PM, John McGaw wrote:

Skunks would have been my first guess too. They dig up grubs. Maybe neighbors lawn was treated for grubs.

I am accustomed only to skunks in the northeast.
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 17:59:31 -0700, "David E. Ross"

Deer graze wherever they find grass but they don't dig... I get herds of deer, they graze along with the Canada geese, up until the snow buries the grass, then the deer browse taller plants. I've no idea what critter is digging up that lawn, only thing I can think is raccoons, perhaps... could also be possums. Set out a motion detecting camera.

Squirrels and birds make more sense since I have seen them here before. In fact, we saw a standing squirrel outside the kitchen window about a couple weeks ago:
https://i.imgur.com/g4lX3A4.jpg ...
Someone said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmyUdLrk9Q
is a raccoon that was recorded by an automatic camera at night almost last year.
So, it looks like the holes were from these suspects: squirrels, birds, and/or raccoons. They were seen in the past sightings? We have not seen any possums here yet. I did remember seeing one in a near by city decades ago.
I forgot to mention rabbits too! Maybe they caused the holes?
--
"Wow, I haven't felt this powerful since I got to decide which ant lives
and which ant dies. You shall battle to the death, and the winner will
On 10/29/2017 10:54 PM, Ant wrote:

The squirrels do dig quite a bit in my yard but maybe mine are lazy since they tend to stay away from my admittedly hard clay lawn and do most of their burying in the mulched beds. I can tell when they are at it since they are careless about cleaning up after themselves and leave patches of mulch scattered on the concrete walkway.
The chipmunks are great diggers too but seem to stick to areas where trees have been felled and the bulk of the stumps left in the ground. Perhaps they use the rotting root structure as part of their burrows since the punky wood is softer than my nasty soil. I have never seen one digging in the lawn and I do have dozens of them living with me.