Drill holes in slab?

Single story home.

I need to treat some areas underneath the slab for termites. I have to drill

1/2" holes through the slab.

Fortunately, there are no gas or electric conduits under the slab.

How can I avoid hitting (plastic or copper) water pipes and drain pipes.

Another version of Russian Roulette!

Reply to
Walter R.

:) I need to treat some areas underneath the slab for termites. I have to drill :) 1/2" holes through the slab. :) :) Fortunately, there are no gas or electric conduits under the slab. :) :) How can I avoid hitting (plastic or copper) water pipes and drain pipes.

You probably will want to rent a hammer drill such as

you rent one,ask for a kill box..it cuts off when it touches grounded metal. If your choice is to use a smaller version of a hammer drill, keep a pipe wrench handy in case you get the bit caught up in re barb. Pay attention to the layout of visible piping and use your best guess where they should be running to. Part of the cost of a termite job is to cover the risks involved.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

Walter, So it sounds like you're gonna try the DIY route eh? Keep us posted! I'm leaning that way as well but won't have the opportunity to do anything for awhile (other projects). I'm curious to see how you pump the liquid in under the slab. My situation is pretty similar although I know where all my lines are. The only slab that I really need to drill is a porch so I'm not too worried. All the other water sources are on the perimeter of the house with the exception of one bathroom which has a cut out in the slab already which exposes the dirt. Anyway, I wish you luck and keep us posted! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Russian Roulette is a good name for DIY termite treatment. I would NEVER do termite treatment myself - that, and fighting a major fire :o)

Several reasons for not DIY:

Have reputable, licensed professional ID the pest. Have ID and treatment method confirmed with county or state extension service. DIY = no insurance for failure of treatment. Professional pest control contractors can buy (probably, according to laws) different or stronger chemicals. Different species of termites may be dominant in different areas, so locale may be important in ID of the insect and the best treatment.

I would try to find a neighbor who had the same pest, same treatment, done successfully by good contractor.

Reply to
Norminn

I know what the pest is. The licensed professionals have been out before and told me all.

Not entirely sure why the county or state would confirm a treatment method? There's no permit being pulled here.

The last pest control person that did my house ended up having to come back after I opened up a wall in my shower and the damn things were everywhere. So the way I figure it, if they can fail, so can I. Seriously, I can do no worse than they have.

I can get the same stuff they use, Termidor. And all the instructions are clearly available such as mix ratios, how to apply, etc...

Yup. Subterrainian termites here.

That's a good point. My problem is spending an absolute fortune on getting them to put down the treatment. If I could find someone that would let me do the trenching and drilling the slab and then they'd come out and mix/apply the stuff at a reasonable price, I'd definitely go that route. It appears one of the more successful treatments at the moment is Termidor/Phantom etc... vs. TimBor. At this point, I'm pretty much willing to give the DIY/Termidor approach a try. Hell, if it doesn't work, then I'm out the cost of the Treatment and some labor (and whatever damage has been done but to be honest, I'm not sure this would be any different than getting it done professionally). Anyway, I'm a long way off from being able to do anything moneywise, so I may have to go the DIY route to save cash. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson