Slater STSP 115AC wall switch, dangerous?

I couldn't find a part number on this cheap all plastic Slater wall switch. I guess I wouldn't have put one on either, a part number I mean.

This is the third one I've had to replace. Two because they got hot. One becasue it 'crackeled'. You could hear it 10 feet away. I've had the house for 15 years and would expect a wall switch to last 30. Is that unreasonable?

These switches don't have much, if any, detent, so I wonder if the blackened mess inside is do to 'partial' offs. This was an Orren Thompson(?) home. This switch is so cheap!

Is this a standard switch?

I think I'll just start slowly replacing them all.

They also put an AL socket for power on the outside. It "rusted" and the heat melted my xmas lights cord. I replaced it with an all CU unit ($5). I surprised that the socket failed and/or a house hasn't burned down.

Reply to
this_is_so_over_done

Whenever you replace a switch like that because of repeated failures you should still check out the other parts of the circuit...just for safetys sake.

Im not familiar with that switch but it seems like a switch like that repeatedly failing should be brought to the manufacturers attention.

Reply to
cornytheclown

All plastic. Including the part where it screws to the wall, that is always metal?

The first reply assumes this means in the same spot.I thought otherwise.

I guess I would check the others.

I expect them to last 75 or 100. Of course even the house I was born in is only 70 years old now. I'll go back and check in a couple years if they still have the same switches. I'll bet they do. Nothing ever changes in my home town.

Well, the house I live in I consider New, and it's 27 years old and nothing has failed. Except the water heater and the Delta one=handle kitchen faucet. Same furnace, washer, dryer, fridge, oven, dishwasher. I did have to repair the replace the furnace squirrel cage, and then the fan itself, and I had to fiddle with a relay on the circuit board. Ok the more I think of it's not "nothing", but no switches, receptacles or light fixture....well I used bulbs too bright in the globe covered fixture in the kitchen and the plastic? surrounding the socket crumbled on 1 or 2 of the three. But that's my fault. I was supposed to stick with 60 watts for a total of 180.

You mean the outside of the house?

Reply to
mm