Spare 13A switch in wall

In our kitchen, there are four electrical things all together.

Dual 13A sockets, and two switches below, one with a neon and one just plain.

Fine, except I can't work out at the moment what the second switch is for.

One socket does the wall wart for the water softener.

One socket has the 13A plug for the lighters for the gas hob.

The switch with the neon is for the cooker extractor fan (which needs sorting).

This leaves me with one wall switch and no obvious appliance near it. It is on the outside wall but there isn't anything outside near it either.

I thought I had sussed it when I remembered the under unit blowers for the central heating but no, it doesn't do those either.

I am now wondering if there was an extra switch installed which was never used (e.g. for the water softener which is on the wall wart) or if there is some other device in the kitchen which is a long way away from the switch.

Next stage would be to take the face plate off and see if there was anything connected (that is, wires in and wires out).

Remind me to label up all the switches in future just in case I have forgotten what they are for 5 years later.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. just tracked it down to the extractor fan in the ceiling (separate from the extractor fan over the hob).

Reply to
David

I would have had it off for a look by now, rather than asking here. if its got no wires then its free to use, if it has then your problems start. IE how to figure out where they go with dodgy wire finding devices. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1
Reply to
newshound

"P.S. just tracked it down to the extractor fan in the ceiling (separate from the extractor fan over the hob)."

So basically just a grumble.

Reply to
David

Oh if we're having a grumble... Can I have a pop at the idiot who screwed a SM lighting transformer to the (original) ceiling then battened and plasterboarded a false ceiling over it. Grr...

At least the family member I was swapping the transformer for has agreed to make good the hole themselves :)

Reply to
Lee

[].. swapping the transformer _out_ for...[]

Before someone makes a joke about it :)

Reply to
Lee