TS Circuit -- Part 2

About 10-15 years ago. The purpose was to save weight in the wiring and starter. It would have caused all sorts of other grief, though.

Reply to
krw

It's not. It causes the electronics all sorts of grief and will increase costs significantly.

Reply to
krw

More like eleven thousand (maybe twenty-two thousand).

Reply to
krw

Tesla's induction motor put the nail in Edison's DC power coffin.

Reply to
krw

Jeez even more reason to do work on you car yourself, especially electrical. I recall electrical being so touchy in the early 80's that factory standards called to replace a broken wire, like to a signal lamp, with the complete socket and wires that came with the socket. shortening or lengthening the existing broken wire would set off error codes. I'm clueless how one determined if the new pigtail would shorten or lengthen the run being observed by the ECM.

Reply to
Leon

Here we go, spend millions and pass onto the consumer to save the consumer a couple of gallons of gasoline every year.

Reply to
Leon

Motor rating. You are probably getting 240 across the wires.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Leon

File your complaint with Obama.

Reply to
krw

LOL Done! He and the like are out'a here.

Reply to
Leon

Obviously.

The point is a designation of 230V being exclusively "a 3 phase voltage in the US" is wrong.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

I remember 110 being standard then moving to 115. Then 117 and then 120. In some places 125 and 130 is common.

It all is the expanding current / power use on the far end of the power house. Same copper increase the voltage and more power.

All you have to do is change a tap at the transmitter and downflow is automatically changed by ratio.

Mart> >>> On 1/5/2017 8:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: >>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn
400 cycles was invented for Airplanes. Smaller transformers. 28 cycles was invented for ships. It was never implemented. Large transformers were ok - they were ballast. The 28 cycle was dangerous to the human body. It entered the body on a body short.

My dad lost the marrow in one of his arms when he was bumped into a 28 hz generator. His arm went out in front to protect his fall and across two buss bars. Two burn holes and it goes to the center. He was working on Naval Radar and other Naval power needs.

60 cycle / Hz is skin effect. So it is far safer. Consider 28 with left arm to right leg - burn a heart out. 60 hz stops the lungs typically.

Mart> Leon wrote in news:YPydndGe9p2PjuzFnZ2dnUU7-

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

At full charging rate, the terminals would be well over 52V; what I remember, the auto buzz was about '42V', which is a 36V battery and allowance for overvoltage during heavy charging.

Changing standards can be an engineering nightmare, because so many decisions have already been optimized for 12V. There aren't 'too many problems' so much as too many decisions to be remade.

Reply to
whit3rd

Hey, look! ... a wRec electrical thread to jump in with another opinion.

What -MIKE- originally said ... think SUB-PANEL!

When spending the money to upgrade your home's electrical service to a more modern 200A, the addition of a sub panel (60A is ideal) to your shop is the most cost effective time to do it; and would add utility for both your home, your shop, and you.

Just like you can't have too many clamps, a serious Normite woodworker requires a sub panel in his shop PERIOD, end of story.

... it's 240v ...

Reply to
Swingman

Thinking about this more, The hybrids and especially the all electrics ,like Tesla, have much much higher voltage.

Reply to
Leon

That is pretty common with any battery. 12 volt batteries, when fully charged, have about 13.2 volts. In the industry it is called a surface charge. That extra 1.2 volts dissipates pretty quickly after initial use. Basically the cells in an automotive type battery can have 2.2 volts with a surface charge.

Now with the new lithium batteries I am clueless as to how much more voltage they can carry.

Reply to
Leon

Completely unrelated to the electrical discussion in this thread. But I am shocked by the picture of the SawStop motor. Made in Taiwan. On another forum I read people are always talking about how wonderful and professional and heavy duty their SawStop saws are. I would never have guessed they us e an Asian motor. Foolishly assumed a US company would use a Marathon, Bal dor, Leeson motor. I looked on their website and it says this:

"The combination of safety, unparalleled design and craftsmanship has made SawStop the #1 cabinet saw in North America.

SawStop is a privately owned company based in Tualatin, Oregon, just south of Portland. We are proud to be 100% U.S. owned and engineered."

Apparently US owned and engineered does not mean Made in USA. I guess its just another Asian made saw with a US invented safety device on it. Kind o f like the current Jet, General, Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly, etc. saws are all Asian made saws designed to resemble the original American made Unisaw and 66 saws from many decades ago. I'm not too confident in the quality an d reliability of Asian products. I don't associate quality and Asia togeth er. Not sure I would trust the SawStop safety feature to even work when I needed it. A safety saw that cuts your fingers off.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Leon wrote in news:7vadnaMfj97Q6u_FnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Not only that, but they've got DUAL VOLTAGE! Just wait until the marketers get ahold of that. (Dear marketers, if you want to use that, please contact me for terms and conditions.)

I'm wondering when we'll get rid of the awful cigarette lighter power plug design and go with something better suited for the purpose like Anderson Powerpoles.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper