200 Amp Service, Tankless water heater

I live in Connecticut. My house currently has 100 amp service. I want to switch to a tankless water heater. I have since learned, from a contractor whom came to my house, that I will need 200 amp main service; plus the cost to install the WH.

I was quoted a cost between $1.5 to $2k, for the 200 amp upgrade. Is that a reasonable cost?

Reply to
Dave C

Without knowing more it doesn't sound totally out of line, but if the main purpose of the upgrade is to support an electric tankless, unless you have some special application need, you must be nuts. At least $1500 plus the cost of the tankless?

Reply to
trader_4

I always thought the same myself. If installing the 200 amp service is only for the water heater, it will take a lifetime to notice that kind of savings.

I worked in a verly large plant and at one sink they decided to install a tankless water heater. Had it all plumbed in and then they checked on the wiring. They would have had to run about 500 feet or more of new wiring in conduit just to power that heater. They tore it out and put in a small water tank that could use 120 volts that was only about 50 feet away.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I paid $1100 for that service upgrade in 1998. Northern Illinois. It was permitted and inspected. I considered it a good price. I found the price can vary by quite a lot. Get a number of estimates. As long as it's inspected, go for the low bidder.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Wow. I can't say what the norm is but that seems steep to me.

I had a 100 amp upgrade about two years ago which cost me $300. I don't know what the difference is other than higher amperage, but the breakers, box and all are still the same. Perhaps it's more about demographics and/or supply and demand in those areas.

Reply to
Meanie

This last summer I upgraded to 200 amp service and it was about $2800

My old wiring did not meet present day code and they had to do more than just replace the breaker box. The entire input conduit had to be replaced as well as the entire grounding system etc.

The guy was here for the better part of four days working his butt off, so I think I got a decent deal.

BTW: If you have natural gas , I'd go that route.

No need to re-wire your house and the energy cost will be less.

Reply to
philo

but if

+1
Reply to
makolber

These guys say typical 120 amps. Wow!

Sounds like a lot of bother to get unlimited hot water. Do you have natural gas? In NYS, natural gas is cheaper than electric heat.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

++1
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I installed a 200A panel in the house we're building . When the Entergy guys came out to move the service from the "trailer/camper service" to the house they used the old 100A wire from the pole . Told me that when I have need of more amperage , such as installing central AC , they'd be back to replace it with 200A wire . For free . I suspect most of that money is going into the electrician's pocket ... in this area license and inspections are nonexistant except for commercial and in town , we live out in the county in a clearing in the woods . Doesn't mean I'm going to cut corners though , doing it right is just as easy and costs the same .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Depending on the length, it sounds about right. OTOH, I'd not do it. Makes no economic sense to spend that much to go tankless.

I live in CT too. I use an alternate supplier and save about $20 a month over CL&P rates. There are a few reputable supplier, just watch out for the scammers. I'm paying .099 for generation until next month and then I'm going to call to see what is available.

Better alternatives are propane, or an indirect fired heater off of your boiler if that is what you have. Take your time and look at alterntiaves that may be a better solution. Even a propane tankless if you are hung up on that type of system.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The short answer regarding the cost for the 200 amp upgrade is that, yes, it is a reasonable (if not low) price for the job.

About whether it is a good idea to upgrade to 200 amps and switch to a tankless water heater, that is a different question. As others have said, it may not make sense or be a good idea but you would know better why you want to do that and whether you should spend the money to do it.

Reply to
TomR

For that price, you must have already had the right size service coming into the property along with the right size service panel etc. Since you said that the "breakers, box and all are still the same", did they just change a

60-amp main breaker to a 100-amp main breaker in the existing panel?
Reply to
TomR

Just to be clear what that included: New electric panel. (30 breaker capacity - but only 13 installed) New service pipe through roof. A conduited 240v circuit to other side of basement. He drove a copper grounding rod into the ground outside. He probably had $300 in materials/permit cost. He split up some house circuits, since the old box only had 8 breakers.

I don't know if he did it, but there were new wires run to the house from the pole. And a new meter. He put in a good 6-7 hours. Maybe 8. He asked if he could have my old breakers, saying they were worth $20-30 apiece. I told him to keep them, and he volunteered a new conduited 120v circuit to the back of the basement. I said sure. As I recall, he was actually my only estimate, but I knew the price was good. I liked him from the getgo. Never had a second thought. And I needed the 240v for new central air. I've had some experience with various contractors and haven't been burned yet.

Reply to
Vic Smith

You seem to be talking about the electric utility company part of the job, not the part that an electrician would do to upgrade from a 100-amp service to a 200-amp service. That is not what the OP is asking.

And, if you have a 200-amp service panel with a 200-amp main breaker, how is it possible that the electric utility company would be will to run a service drop to your place with a wire that is only capable of handling 100 amps (and not 200 amps)?

.
Reply to
TomR

On 03/26/2015 9:45 AM, Meanie wrote: ...

If "all are still the same" then it seems there wasn't anything that really was done for the $300?

Can't fathom the above being anything close to "the whole story"...

Reply to
dpb

Because it is pretty obvious I haven't got anything that draws that much .The upgrade is just a phone call away when I do have need of the increased capacity . -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I understand what you are saying. However, (and I may be wrong about this) I think of the main breaker as a device that protects the wire that is coming into the main panel.

I would think that an oversized main breaker would not be permitted by the utility company if the breaker size was not suitable to protect their wire coming in. Or, to put it another way, I would think that a utility company would not be willing to connect a wire (theirs) that is only rated for 100 amps to a main panel with a 200 amp main breaker.

You seem to be saying that they know that you are not planning on using more than 100 amps at any time, unless you notify them in advance of that, and give them time to increase the service drop wire size. I am just surprised that any electric utility company would be willing to do that.

But, hey, you seem to be saying that's what they are willing to do. And, I have no reason not to believe you. It just seems odd to me, but that doesn't mean that's not how it is out there in some places.

Reply to
TomR

OP is better off to upgrade to 400 amp service, 200 for the tankless and 200 amp for everything else

the issue is the low incoming water temperature in the winter. less than 40 degrees around here ...... OP will need a oversized tankless to heat the water in the frigid winter.

or settle for so so showers.

it would be sad to spend thousands going tankless and end upwith cold showers.

check the ratings on the tankless of your choice....

theres flow.temp rise and current draw.

in any case this project isnt a good money saver. and if OP has teenagers utility bills will ilkely rise

Reply to
bob haller

To put 200 amps in mine would be almost $4000 - have to replace the entire underground service from thr transformrt vault to the house including new rizer and meter base.

I have to replace the meter base regardless when I replace my panel - and I can go up to 125 amps (from my current 100)

Reply to
clare