Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?

Our 55 year-old house still runs on fuses . We have never upgraded to a circuit breaker . We hardly ever blow fuses (it's been years actually). We even run our heater and air conditioner off an individual fuse box installed 25 years ago. We have an electrician coming out to give us an estimate to upgrade to a circuit breaker, but since we've made the appointment we've heard from two people who say fuses are better and why bother spending the money if we don't have any problems. Thoughts ?

Reply to
Jeffy3

OK, _WHY_ did you do this, then?

Unless you're intending or needing to upgrade service from (say) 100 to

200A in view of an impending remodeling or other anticipated increased loading or also replacing a 2-wire system w/ 3, what's the point?

--

Reply to
dpb

re: "we've heard from two people who say fuses are better"

Did they say why or was it just a statement that you didn't challange?

I'm not saying they're wrong, but I would certainly have asked them for their reasoning.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ive never seen a fuse fail to blow when it was supposed to, I have never seen a fuse leave a circuit hot when I pulled it. I wish I could say the same was true of breakers. I ve never seen anyone put a penny behind a breaker either so they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Jimmie.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Agreed. Unless your fuse panel is failing, rusting, has broken parts, or lack of capacity, I would vote to stay with it. I don't think new fuse panels are made, so any replacement would have to be a circuit breaker panel.

Reply to
EXT

EXT wrote: ...

Yeah, I was astounded to recently discover that appears to be the case that there are apparently _none_ other than for very large industrial applications any longer available. (I wasn't needing/wanting particularly, just curious after somebody else had made the comment and thought surely they could be had still even though not used much in new construction.)

--

Reply to
dpb

I'm not going to jump on any bandwagon one way or other, but what I will say is that his old fuse box probably contains a high quality copper bus, and most likely the replacement that he would end up with these days would not. I sure some of you have seen loose fitting breakers corroding at the bus because of the crappy materials and manufacturing shortcuts used too often these days. But I could say that about a good many things besides fuse/breaker boxes..................................

On the other hand, if he ever goes to sell, he will wish he had kept up with some of the modernizing that almost everyone has done over the years.....................

How's that for undecided? :-?

Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Both were told that by their electrician so it was second hand. They couldn't specifically state the reason. We're not planning on selling so maybe I'll leave things be. I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Reply to
Jeffy3

\\

Most people in our neighborhood switched over so I just assumed there was a good reason for it, i.e. safety.

Reply to
Jeffy3

Hi, Fuse or breaker there are many different kinds. Only difference is you can reset a breaker. You can't with fuse. Once it's blown, you replace it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

re: "I was astounded ...thought surely they could be had still even though not used much in new construction."

I, on the other hand, am not in the least suprised.

If I look at this from a supply and demand perspective, I can't see enough demand to justify the cost of maintaining a manufacturing line and/or storage facility for fuse boxes.

If there is an alternative device available (i.e. the circuit breaker box) that will fit both new construction and upgrades/add-on situations, it's cheaper to manufacture and store just the one device.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Possibly because they aren't blowing fuses since someone has already overfused the old panel and it's a fire waiting to happen? A single 30A edison base fuse feeding several 14ga circuits isn't exactly uncommon on some old panels.

Reply to
Pete C.

DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

... Well, I'm happy for you... :)

"astounded" was over the top to describe actual discovery undoubtedly--"somewhat surprised" more nearly.

While your market analysis is generally true, I figured there would be a continuing-enough demand there would have been _somebody_ still making them....

--

Reply to
dpb

An alternative is to install a breaker-box yourself. You can get everything you need at the box store and, with an afternoon's* work, you should be able to swap out the fuse box for a 200 Amp service.

Should cost about $300.

Reply to
HeyBub

Man, WTF is up with you and bad advice? Is this some childish attempt to be funny?

The OP has fuses. The odds of him having 200 amp service is remote. You have no idea of his service, you have no idea of his capabilities, he already mentioned that he was having an electrician to come out and give a price for changing the panel - so, what exactly are you doing besides ignoring his question and running off at the mouth?

Stop it. It's dangerous. Pick some question that is more up your alley and doesn't have life-threatening consequences. Maybe painting barn scenes on hand saw blades or making clocks out of circular saw blades.

RicodJour

Around here, as I suspect is the case in most areas, that would mean having the utility come out to disconnect main power and then come back out to reconnect it, and they won't reconnect it without a licensed electrician signing off on the work.

Those three charges would need to be added to your $300 estimate.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You mean the guy making money for doing the job said that giving him work is the best solution?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

re: "making clocks out of circular saw blades."

I've got one of those!

I set my alarm clock for 1:59 AM Sunday morning so I could set my clocks back at the correct hour, stumbled into the shop all groggy and cut myself on the clock.

The stiches come out in a week or so.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Re-read the OP. Both of those people were told that *fuses* were better therefore the electrician was suggesting that they *don't* do the swap.

At least that's how I put those 2 items together...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If the fuses are properly sized they are safer than breakers because they fail "open". A breaker can fail closed and provide no protection (Google Federal Pacific and read the stories) If you have the proper sized type S adapters and Type S fuses they fully comply with the 2008 code. You could install one tomorrow in new construction ... if someone made the panel. Unfortunately a home inspector would flag fuses as a defect, but most HIs are generally clueless when it comes to code and they state that in their contract disclaimer.

Reply to
gfretwell