Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Why, all we have to do is ignore them, pull all American interests, public and private, back home, and forcibly convert the entire nation to Islam and then the poor misunderstood peaceful practitioners of Islam will leave us alone.

Well, actually, I suspect they'd go after someone else, possibly the UK or Russia, maybe even Japan.

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

While I was a pretty much in the same boat as you. I chose to retire and get out while the getting out was good back in 1995. I was in the Automotive profession for 22 years. I has always been said that the Automotive profession is a young mans profession. I always thought you needed to be young to be able to put up with the problems that arise in the Automotive industry. Having been a service sales manager at a large GM dealership, making excuses for the quality problems of the American built car to your customer makes you old quick. I finally realized that a young mans profession is one that a young man with out a family or obligations can do pretty good in. Fortunately I worked the automotive system and got my rewards. I chose to retire not having to work any more at 40. 2 years later I started my own business and while my profits are there every year, they come no where near what I was making before retiring. While you hate Bush for telling you that the solution is to change professions, I did not have to wait for him to tell me this. I saw the writing on the wall.

Reply to
Leon

but I hate Bush telling me the solution is "to change professions."

Because you quoted that remark, can you lead me to where I can find where or when he said that?

I've never heard and I'd like to know for sure.

Reply to
Bill

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well I am an unemployeed software engineer. Two years since I was laid off. I have had 9 weeks of work during that time. Luckily my wife is well employeed.

Two years ago I made $110K. I would gladly work for half today. I woul;d change my vote to if I thought it would make a difference. Remember it was Clinton that signed NAFTA.

It isn't like I make great buggy whips. There is still a demand for what I do. Unfortunately I think it is the drive for quarterly profits that is the biggest cause of the problem. The thing with outsourcing is it is a short sighted solution. Just like chasing quartly profit. The place I used to work was a high tech company that makes electronics. The ideas that turn into products come from people in the company. Most of them come from the engineers, not marketing. What happens when all of the engineering is outsourced? How thinks up, "if this works and I make this change then we can sell this to another market"? Nobody. That's who.

The company I used to work for was divided up something like this.

10% Admin (like secretaries, book keepers, marketing, support etc.) 10% Management 40% Manufacturing 40% Engineering

How does it look today?

2% Manufacturing 30% Engineering 20% Management 48% Admin

How do the actual numbers look? Before

2000 engineers, 2000 Manufacturing, 500 Admin and 500 Management for a total of 5000 people.

Now it has downsized by about 20% for a total of 4000 of which 80 are manufacturing, 1200 engineers, 800 Managers and 1920 admin and support. The company grew the marketing, and sales while cutting engineering and manufacturing. Then naturally because the more work is out sourced they need more managers to handle the out sourced engineering.

The numbers are estimates.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

So therefore it is YOUR choice to be unemployed at your profession that to change careers. WTF does Bush have to do with it all?

My first choices for a profession were: 1) Pope 2) Queen of England. Both jobs were filled so I became a manger instead. Do you think I should have waited for an opening? You can't make much money selling things people just don't want or need no matter how good we think they are. Basic fact of capitalism.

Sorry, but when I hear people bitch that "I want to be a (fill in chose profession) but it does not pay enough to make a living." I don't fee a tiny bit sorry for them. Do something people are willing to pay for. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's it, make the world change!

How dare they try to tell you what to do - don't they know it's your job to tell them?

Reply to
George

Gee, We have been hell bent on trying to hire _any_ software engineers here for the past few years. Noone wants to work so we end up filling the positions with foreigners with visas.

-Bruce

BruceR

Didja bring your dog with you?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

My first choices: I wanted to be the Saint; I wanted to be retired.

Never was ANY kind of saint and I'm of retirement age and wouldn't retire even if I could affod it.

Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

or somewhere else?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I know people in the Washington DC area who have devoted their entire working lives to national and international standards development. Important but IMO jam-a-chisel-in-your-leg-to-stay-awake boring.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Let's be glad they're not calling it "Business Management"... I've changed my mind about educating my kids. They are getting a trade first. THEN, if they want, they can go to Uni.

standard size chisel, I presume?

Reply to
Noons

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:12:01 -0700, CW wrote (in message ):

Most of the resumes we get from people who consider themselves "programmers" say either they can "program" Windows or can "program" the internet....

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

computer programmers to me... Can't say as that indicates a general indication of a shortage of computer programmers.

"Candidates must possess knowledge of experimental astronomy, especially interferometry, or sufficient math and physics to quickly learn, at a detailed level, the instrumental aspects of the EVLA radio telescope..."

Reply to
Henry Bibb

You actually got a resume from Al Gore?

Reply to
CW

... snip

You've gotta be kidding? What kind of evidence has to fall on you? California printed their last government election ballots in something on the order of 64 different languages. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of assimilation going on there, does there? Bilingual education has, instead of becoming a means of assimilating students, a means of separating them and teaching purely in Spanish rather than bringing them up to speed and getting them immersed in the English language. No generalization there. There are nearly daily stories in the news in which one ethnic community raises some issue or other about how they are being "marginalized" or "ignored". We daily have people crossing the border to have babies that become US citizens and entitle the parents to various government subsidies and largess. There is a High School in San Diego that has a significant number of illegal border crossers as students who come to school during the day and return to Mexico in the evening. The school district gets $5400 per year per student from the taxpayers of the state of California to educate citizens of another country.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

This attitude that somehow deductions, i.e. allowing people to keep a little more of the money *they* have earned somehow equates to welfare, the receipt of *other* peoples' money is more than a bit disturbing and quite irritating. It bespeaks an attitude that the money is the government's first, and mine second. It indicates that I should be grateful for what the government lets me take home after it (the government) has decided how much of my time is owed it first.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Truer words were never said Charlie - And the immigration problem is a direct result of complicity between big government and big business to keep your wages low - supply and demand baby - just like the war on drugs, it's all a sham. Yeah that taco is getting more expensive by the minute. But corporate greed is only starting to rear it's ugly head - next thing to look for is outsourcing of higher paying jobs to India and similar third world countries by the IBM's and the financial institutions; this is going on right now behind our backs while the media concentrates it's news on nonexistent WMD's. We're slowly but surely all getting dragged down to the lowest common denominator where we'll be competing directly with Chinese peasants for work - I say we should stop this global madness now before it's too late. I hope I haven't offended any executive types out there, but your days are numbered too.

Reply to
Robert

High Speed Computing Act.

Reply to
p_j

Most jobs? Or most jobs you are qualified for? Or most jobs you'd consider? If you have some training in the right trade or profession, you can make much more. Auto mechanics, welder, nurses, respiratory therapists, state police, all make much more than $15. Your problem is that you'd have to take a year or two to learn what is needed in these careers. Not easily done when trying to support a family.

I relocated once. Glad I did, but don't ever want to do it again. I do know people that have been Nomads for their entire working career, moving every two or three years. Not for me. It does limit your choices for employment though. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski