Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Brian, as a professional programmer I will echo your sentiments. Things I've made my living on the past 25 years are now being done in India. If you'd have told me back then that I was making a bad career choice, I'd have ask you what planet you're from.

Back on topic - I like Wes's idea a few posts back. Isn't there at least a couple of employee owned airlines that are doing pretty well? Why not a tool company ?

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

hate to burst your bubble here BUT they are and have been over the past few years taking jobs from plummers, electritions, framers, trim people, hardware installers, firemen, policemen, tile setters, flooring installers, ect. ect. ect..........all forms of construction are being performed by illegals and our manufacturing and textile jobs are being moved overseas because of our gov. doing away with tariffs and greedy execs seeing larger profit margins for themselves. oh BTW lets not forget all the HIGH TECK jobs leaving for dirt cheep wages too! sorry but they aint just mowing lawns and picking crops anymore. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

they wont worry bout it till its thier jobs that are lost and they have to downsize that great big high dollar house they bought. does anyone realy think they will be able to afford to live here in the style they have become accustomed to on the wages that are paid for services????? i think not.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

i will second that! i am not in the IT feild. I am in construction so its different. my job is not going overseas but all the imigrants are taking the construction jobs now because they are willing to work cheap. wages are dropping because of this but the cost of living is not dropping is it? i dont pretend to have the answers but at this rate WE will be the poor country and the poor countries will be the rich ones. think about it.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Some immigrants do great work, but some of them produce crap. My friend owns a house in Atlanta built mostly by immigrants. It is the shoddiest work you have ever seen. Almost everything has been redone at least once. My friend has spent 10s of thousands on repairs to a new house. Last I heard, the stucco was being replaced because no expansion joints were used.

I worked with a group of Hmong cutting grass in the 80s. They expended more effort figuring out how not to do work than actually working. Luckily, it was a drought year and there wasn't any grass to cut.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I just read about this too. Check out these links to see the full story...

am curious to see what develops from here.

Dusty

"A man without a wife is like a fish without a bicycle." unknown

Reply to
Dusty Workshop

yeh BUT for the most part contractors today arent realy interested in quality. the main concern seems to be how fast can you do it and how much is it gonna cost? when 5 illegals can go in and knock it out in 1

1/2 - 2 hours and it will take me most of a day to do it right by myself and they cut my prices by 40% chances are they will get the work. the prospective home buyer wont see all the crap because he or she wont know what to look for so quality doesnt count. its a sad state of affairs but that seems to be the way the industry is going.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Your family makes crap? Unless you are an American Indian, your forefathers were immigrants.

The head of our space program that put a man on the moon is an immigrant. More examples available if needed. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think everyone knows what I meant. I guess I should have said illegal immigrants or recent immigrants.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

It seems to me that we in the US are getting very close to being a colony of Asia. Or are we already?

RB

Brian Elfert wrote:

Reply to
RB

BUY MADE IN USA!

Reply to
WD

I'm positive the value of everything manufactured in the USA far, far exceeds the value of everything manufactured in Asia that is imported.

It just seems like everything is being made in Asia because so many household goods are made there. You and I don't see the made in the USA labels on lots of things because they are buried inside other things we buy.

There isn't a made in the USA label on a Boeing jet, yet they are made right here in the USA.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I thought they had large sections of fuselage sub contracted out to China?

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

So were theirs. Purely a case of date.

Reply to
George

Assembled in America. Something better than 50% of the 777 and probably more like 65% of the 7E7 are/will be built by foreign contractors (Japan and Europe being the largest).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not so sure about other employee-owned outfits, but I do know that the state employee unions and our teachers' union members would rather see their "brothers" laid off than forego their raises in a time of tight money.

What was it the beggar said to Tev'e in Fiddler on the roof, when given one kopeck? "One kopeck, last week you gave me two kopecks."

"I had a bad week."

"Because you had a bad week, I should suffer?"

Reply to
George

Well Hell then, why not jump to the chase and just say spics, greasers, or wetbacks? "Then" we'd all know what it is "you" meant.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I'm wondering, Nahmie sponsored by Jet?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I know this one!

PURPLE!!!

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Electricians and plumbers are doing OK :-).

That's not the problem. The problem is our growing dependency on the rest of the world. It's hard to stay independent when your tank/jeep/halftrack/etc engines are all made elsewhere, just to pick an example.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard