Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs

13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production overseas to increase margins.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Man that sucks. I hate to see changes coming like this since I really like Delta and Porter Cable products. On the positive side, they may be able to offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better margin for themselves with oversees production.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better margin for themselves with oversees production.

Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines, they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)

Reply to
Rumpty
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Pigs might fly

Jon~

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

Pentair doesn't even have a buyer yet. We don't know that any buyer will move jobs overseas.

Yes, it is likely that production will move overseas. If production of the Unisaw is moved overseas, there will no longer be any reason to buy the Unisaw. The Jet is already less expensive and the quality is nearly equal to the Unisaw.

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

|>On the positive side, they may be able to |offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better |margin for themselves with oversees production. | |Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines, |they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a |smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)

Maybe the employees should consider buying the company themselves. They get to keep their jobs and it might even increase their market share.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything? Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

If Bush REALLY wanted to help the economy, he would ONLY give us a tax cut when we submit PROOF that we bought that much in American Made products. Not "assembled" but MADE in the USA. That would help. I have been looking for a job for almost a year. I am a college graduate and am having to compete with people who have written grants and published for $22,000 a year jobs. When they show up (rarely). That's a "good" economy? Of course, this is Arkansas.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Does this mean there may be more Indians than Chiefs? Unbelieveable.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I believe that has already happened... Import automobiles have a heavy tax burden that brings the prices more in line with the American built cars.

Reply to
Leon

I don't like all the manufacturing jobs going overseas, but it is happening. I try to buy USA made where possible but some stuff is almost impossible to find made in the USA. I can't always afford to spend a day or two trying to find an item made in the USA.

In another decade or so, we won't have any IT jobs left in the USA. Everything will be farmed out to India. With the Internet, all the servers will get moved to India. The only computers left in the USA will be desktops that are maintained by a very small workforce.

I fully expect to be out of a job in 5 to 10 years as server administration gets farmed out overseas to save money.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Even if there is a tax burden, Korean built cars are still less expensive than USA built cars, at least on the low end.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

hell, if they're sending handsaws to japan to be sharpened,(apparently 'cause us 'murricanz is too dumb to do it) sending your car to singapore for a tune up can't be far off.

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Yes, sir, we can get your car tuned up in India for only $5. The bad news is that shipping will be $600 and your car will be gone for five weeks.

I doubt anyone is sending a handsaw to Japan for sharpening to save money. Wages there are as just as high as here. The Japanese can probably do a better job and shipping a hand saw is pretty darn cheap compared to a car.

Brian Ekfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

yeah, but for the tune up all we have to ship are the engine and brakes. the rest gets parked in a container somewhere....

Reply to
Bridger

Don't forget the USA 14" Bandsaw. I was thinking of eventually selling my Jet and buying that one, since they take the same blades and my Jet has broken down and doesn't seem as well built.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if people are forced to choose one product over another, they will resent it. Build a better product at a competitive price and you will not need the government to heavily tax items that we want to buy.

Reply to
Leon

If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up the gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

Reply to
Walker

What jobs? Picking crops, mowing lawns that most of us here don't want to do?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski