Our First Lowes - What A Difference Over Home Depot!!!

The Menard's "up by me" has a program where they'll give you a discount if you can show a picture of a car on blocks in front of your double wide or prove that you store your ice auger in your bedroom.

UA100, who once saw a bumper sticker that read, "Deer Fear Me, Women Crave Me" and thought, that's a Menard's shopper...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yabbut yer in Canuckistan, where people treat each other more nicer. It's sorta like Minnesota (the Stepford State), only more Norther.

Around here a lot of the folks who work at HD look like they were hired to keep them from hanging around the parking lot and mugging people.

Got a kid with purple hair and more metal stuck in his body than yer average junk yard - and the only reason I can figure for him working in the plumbing section is that he's got plumbers cleavage from wearing his pants so low.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Here in my neck of the woods, Lowe's is cleaner, much more organized, less busy, and you are more likely to hear English over the PA.

Home Depot is the exact opposite, but closer, and, since I have both a commercial and individual HD account, I rarely go elsewhere.

Besides, Lowe's, thus far, is also the ONLY place in the world I've been, including the UK and Europe, where my Visa business debit card will simply NOT work without ten minutes hassle ... go figure.

Reply to
Swingman

Aren't they all "associates" now? Or are they just human resources?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check the front page of this morning's Journal Sentinel business section.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

You hit on a cardboard sign?

sigh....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through

38 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim

by, you might live in Wisconsin.

If you have ever refused to buy something because it's "too

spendy", you might live in Wisconsin.

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might

live in Wisconsin.

If you have either a pet or a child named "Brett", you might live

in Wisconsin.

If you see people wearing camouflage at social events (including

weddings and funerals), you might live in Wisconsin.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Tom Watson responds:

I asked one of those kids if he wanted me to talk to his boss about a raise, see if maybe he could then afford some clothes that fit. I guess being broke embarrassed him. He turned purplish red (or reddish purple: I never could tell the difference).

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

You've been peeking ... that's my "winter uniform" here in Texas.

Reply to
Swingman

UA100 responds:

Dyslexic, too. He got it backwards.

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

Don't the Lowes tend to have wider aisles and better lighting ? The local HD I go to is "remodeling" now to achieve the same effect before Lowes moves in (western ny).

There are two basic influences on service. One is the company, the other is the attitude of the customer. While the former is the more signficant one, don't underestimate the influence of the latter.

Reply to
GregP

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:53:38 +0000, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi spake:

(What TV, Tawm, the Simpsons?)

I get a lot of those. "Here, try this plastic blurfl. Oh, no, it won't weldable onto the barfl, will it? Sorry, can't help you."

The one store in town which has good, helpful, intelligent folks like your guys is the Farmer's Building Supply. I need to go there today to pick up some deck screws to rebuild a grape arbor for my 83 y/o neighbor. His fix about 5 years ago left the standard pineywood tubafores full of bent concrete nails.

I believe the parts still standing are those which have lichen on them, and I think it's the lichen which is holding them together. ;)

Anyway, he won't spring for new wood, so I get to climb around in some really old, shaky buildings for replacement tubafores. Despite being regular old pineywood, they'll probably outlive him.

Poor WeeGee. Good customer service is simply rampant up there, isn't it? (You Suck.)

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

... snip

So you actually *see* clerks in HD? I see checkout people and every once in a while, if I turn my head quickly enough, I will see an orange apron scurrying around the corner of an aisle (they must be shy and customers scare them). But clerks, can't say I've seen a live one in a while.

Well, for a while they were advertising that many of their clerks were experienced in the trades. Maybe they equate plumber's cleavage with plumber's experience.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

Ever notice all the various badges and pins on those orange aprons? Must be based on seniority and experience ... the more badges, the better they are at ignoring you, or scurrying away.

Reply to
Swingman

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:33:17 -0800, the inscrutable Fly-by-Night CC spake:

It definitely seems so, but is it legal in his state?

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I believe this rumor. In the paper today (or yesterday) was a picture of the demolition of the B&S plant, with a caption about a "Big Box" store in the works. Me, I try my best to stick to Elliot's. Just west of 164 (fomerly J) on Capital. Best Hardware Store in the Land. There's also one in Elm Grove, and at least one other...

dave

Reply to
wowbagger9

An interesting aside. The guy who played Stiffler, the obnoxious prick in the American Pie series of movies, was found working in a Home Depot.

Reply to
Silvan

Wouldn't doubt it, after LOWE's had been in town about 10yrs, HD bought the lot absolutely right across the street and built the HD there. Great, I get to walk across the street and price shop, then go back across the street and tell them "The guys across the street have it cheaper, you gonna match it??

John

Reply to
John

On Saturday 29 Jan 2005 4:52 pm, Larry Jaques scribbled:

I forgot the best part: the tool section is straight ahead as you walk in the door (no need to turn) and there is no cage for the tools like I saw in a HD in Montreal. The SOP is usually prefaced with an initial involuntary ablution of the General 350 with Biesemeyer clone fence.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Cis Trans Boom

Cis Boom Trans

Cis Boom Ba

watson - who has been wondering about which store Uncle Jessy would shop at.